Chapter: Eight

Stevens' P.O.V

The quarters, both Northern and Eastern, seemed to have grown quiet over the weeks. There is only so much energy you can put into hate before it wears on you. I learned that by watching Pierce fall in love with the man I had loved since I was but a pup. No matter how much you try to fight it, the inevitable always happens.

I watch as a Northern man wraps his arm around an Easterner's man neck as they laughed drunkenly and walked back into the housing area. Next, I see is a pair of girls and, soon a couple more pairs of males and females. Desire always wins out, it seems. My eyes narrow as my thoughts go to Isaac and Cassius. 

He ordered me away from his rooms, away from his company, away from him, and it bothers me. All that time I had been sharing with him, helping, healing him has now gone to Isaac and there is nothing I can do about it, but watch it unfold. 

To make matters worse, he tasked me with bordering the territory. A task only meant from me, I think full of sarcasm. All he wants is to be rid of me.

As I walk out towards the forest, I smell the scent of human all around the area causing my eyes to widen. They could not have possibly escaped! I smell around and pick of traces of blood becoming stronger as followed the scent. Soon, I come across their bodies laid across the ground, blood pooling beneath their bodies. 

Still, I go and check for a pulse going from man to man to woman...to child. My throat tightens and my chest aches. There I feel a small, little pulse come from the human child causing me to turn him around as his grows more labored. A gaping wound took up the whole of his neck causing my eyes fall and my mouth to open. 

How could he had done this? He could not have possibly...No.

"Stay with me child...I will get you some help. Just keep your eyes open. Listen to my voice." The child sputters out blood as he tries to speak making my eyes narrow at this.

 Soon as I have him in my arms, I make my way back to the quarters and towards the pack hospital. Cassius would do no such thing, yet these humans were his charges. He had been away from me for weeks. Who is to say he had not changed? Doubt clouded my mind then making me bite down against my lips until it bled.

"Stevens!"

"Warren, tend to the boy." I put him on the bed causing him to sneer.

"He is a child, a mere boy. Help him!"

"Stevens, you are asking much of me." Warren looks at the boy then back at me. "...Our King has suffered greatly due to these beings. Who's to say he will not grow up and kill us like the rest of them?" 

"I...He will be my charge."

"Stevens."

"Help me and I promise he will not become like the others. I will raise him as if he were my own." He hisses at my suggestion but begins to peel away the boy's clothing.

"I cannot guarantee his life, but I will do my best."

"Thank you, Warren. I am in your greatest debt."  I give him a low bow as he gives me a small nod back before clucking his tongue.

"Leave now. Be gone."

As soon as I leave out the door, nothing but the thoughts of Analia and her finding Pierce fills my mind. She needed to bring word back and bring it back quickly. I know Cassius is beginning to break down and his are never good, always violent.

I stop as I see Isaac leaning against the building wall looking at me as if he had been waiting on me.  

"There you are."