Chapter: Eighteen

Sanuel's P.O.V

I look at Aaron's back as my advisors continue to talk to me about the upcoming plans. The more we talk about it, the more disgruntled and upset he becomes. No one would notice it because he is so use to wearing a facade, but I do. I know him.

My teeth crunch down on my bottom lip as I see his eyes sinking into the floorboards. He will never forgive me for this. Never, even as his mate. Some part of me, some greater part of me, believes I could never live like that. He means too much to me.

"Let's... Let's talk of this later. My head is beginning to pound."

"Sanuel, the plans are near read-"

"I know. They are ready, but let us..." My eyes flick to Aaron's figure before going back to Arthur's and Ronald's. "Let us set it aside for now. Nothing will change."

"Sanuel-"

"Enough. Go away. Aaron, show them out."

I watch as he scoots Ronald's chair from under the table and lurches him forward. He stands on his own two feet and is quick to leave out the room followed by Arthur.

"What are the rest of you still doing here? Out."

There is some more shuffling and slamming of papers and doors before Aaron and I are left to ourselves. However, it feels as though I am alone. He messes around with the sides of his wrists not bothering to meet my eyes.

For days, he has done this to me and each time it sends a pang to my heart. Why must he do this to me?  If not for him, my plan would be in action. If not for him... I would not know of this warm feeling.

"Aaron speak to me."

His silence still looms making my hands ball into fists.

"Aaron enough with the silent treatment. Enough with acting as if I do not exist. I am here, right in front of your eyes!" I yell becoming frustrated with him in an instance.

The way he has been treating me has been nothing but torturous. Truly, then, I realized I could not live my entire life without him in it. He has made that very clear to me.

"Aaron...I have grown deep feelings for you. You know this, so why? Why are you treating me like this?"

His eyes finally look into mine causing my face warm at the heartfelt emotions I find inside of them.

"I do not enjoy doing this to you. You know this."

"I do not! And I wish for you to stop."

"I cannot. It will make things much easier for me if things are like this. My guilt will not run so deep, thick."

"He is a brother you had not seen in over a decade!"

"Because of you and your kind," he growls causing my eyes to blink away from his. I press my hand to my arm dangling at my side trying to distract myself from the inevitable conversation about to unfold.

"You know I never thought of you as that. Not even once."

"Sanuel, it does not matter. The rest of you view me as a beast, a mutt that should have long since been put down. But out of you and your father's good graces, here I am."

"Aaron, please-"

"I do not belong here. You know as well as I do... In the end, I will bring you ruin."

My throat begins to tighten at his words.

"Aaron, I had pushed back the plans. It may not be the thing you have wished for, but isn't it enough? For now?"