(9)

I stay silent, figuring that was the best way to get through this really, awkward ride.

"So seriously." He says. "Why the hell did you date that dick?" Really? You couldn't just... not?

"I don't see how that is any of your business." I mutter.

"You know he doesn't let these things go, right?" Alex explains. "He's going to keep going at you, until you give him what he wants. We've had a few run ins with his lot."

"Thanks for the warning." I smile thinly. "I can handle it." We fall back into silence, and I check my phone, for any messages I've missed. Only a couple from Bianca, and one from Mom, saying that Dad was visiting friends in the area, and that it was safe to go home, at least until tonight. She's at work still, but will be home soon. At least I don't have to deal with my Dad for awhile.

His phone rings, and he answers it on speaker phone, keeping his eye on the road. 

"Yello?" He chirps. 

"Hey." I hear Cole say.

"You're on speaker." Alex says. "Harper's in the car."

"Why?" He asks curiously. "And hey Harper." 

"I'm driving her home." He says shortly. "What do you need?" 

"Can you make a quick detour?" He asks. "Zane needs something picked up."

"Do you need it now?" Alex asks. "Can it wait until I drop Harper off?" 

"It's kind of urgent." He says. "It's about... Will." 

"On it." Alex says quickly, hanging up, and sharply making a U-turn. "Sorry." He says, looking over to me. "It's important."

"Sure. Is Will ok?" I ask, thinking of the cute ten year old.

"Yeah." He says calmly. "He just needs something." He pulls into a park, and parks next to a small red car. He winds down the window, and a guy hops out of the red car, joining Alex at the window. 

"Hey." Alex says quickly. "You got it?"

"Yeah dude." He says. "But the price has gone up." 

"What do you mean the price has gone up?" Alex growls.

"It's not my fault man." He protests. "I'm just the messenger. The boss says that because you've bought so much of it, if you really need it, you should pay more."

"How much?" He sighs. 

"One fifty." He says softly. Alex reaches into his wallet, and hands it over. 

"I'm sorry man." He says, handing him a paper bag. "I hope it's all good." Alex nods, before swerving onto the road, driving quickly in the direction of his house. We're there as soon as we know it, and I see Hayden waiting out the front. Alex screeches to a stop, and Hayden rushes to his door. Alex gives him the bag, and asks:

"Is he ok?" 

"He'll be fine." He says reassuringly. "It's really mild." Alex nods.

"Do you need me?" He asks. "Or can I quickly drop Harper home?"

"Take your time." He smirks at me. "Hey Harper."

"Ok Romeo." Alex snorts. "See you later." He pulls out again, and I sit back in my seat. I feel like I'm in a fast and furious movie.

""What's wrong with Will?" I ask softly.

"Nothing." He snaps. He softens, and apologises. "Sorry. He has a... condition. But he's fine." I nod, deciding not to ask anymore questions.

We pull into my driveway, and he stops the car. I jump out quickly, sending a thanks behind my shoulder.

"Wait." I sigh, turning around, to see Alex running up to join me at the doorstep.

"What?" I mutter. 

"I may as well get those clothes you borrowed." He says expectantly.

"Oh." I say. "Um." I guess it's ok. No one's home. "Come in." I let myself in, walking into the living room. "Wait here." I say, running up the stairs. I get up the stairs, and walk to my room. I pass the den, and gasp, as I look in. Why is he home? I see Dad, passed out on the couch. He must have come home early. I tiptoe to my room quietly. I need to get Alex out of here. Quickly. I gather up the clothes, and quietly leave my room. I tiptoe past the den, looking in quickly. What the hell? Where did he-

"Ah!" I gasp, as I'm grabbed from behind, and slammed into the wall, dropping the clothes.

"Why are you home so early?" He growls.

"I-I" I stutter.

"Well?" He says roughly, shaking me.

"It's a half day." I lie. "We all got to go home." 

"Where's your mother?" He asks, not loosening his grip.

"She said she came home earlier." I explain quietly, not wanting Alex to hear. "But you weren't home. She'll be home for dinner. She's at work."

"Oh." He says. "Do you want to know where I was?" He grins. "I was at Quentin's." My heart drops, and I stare back, frightened. "Do you remember him?" I nod, slightly. "Answer me." He growls.

"Yes." I whimper. Quentin is... an old friend of my fathers. Sometimes, he comes to check up on us, when Dad isn't around. He's kind of scary, but he hasn't come around lately.

"He misses you." He chuckles. "Maybe we should invite him over for dinner. Do you like that idea?" I shake my head, shivering.

"No." I say. His eyes narrow, and he picks me up by the collar, throwing me to the floor. 

"You bi*ch!" He yells, kicking me in the ribs. "Quentin told me today about how you were rude to him. You wouldn't even let him in the house!" He kicks me again, in the temple, making my vision go fuzzy. He picks me up, and slams me into the wall. 

"I'm sorry." I sob.

"You wanna be rude?" He spits. "You wanna be disrespectful?" I try to answer, but he punches me in the stomach, winding me. 

"What the hell?" Shit. Dad lets go, dropping me to the floor. He turns around, and looks at Alex, angrily.

"Who the hell are you?" He growls. 

"Who the hell are you?" He snarls back. 

"I'm Harper's father." He says. "You better leave right now." Alex's eyes widen, and looks at me.

"No." He says.

"Who even let you in?" He asks angrily. 

"I did." I say quietly, not wanting him to hurt Alex. He looks at me, eyes widening. 

"You brought him here?" He yells. You little-" I don't hear the rest, as the world goes black, his boot, flying towards my face.