(26)

I am grateful that I am able to write. When it all turns to shit, do what you love.

Thank you for reading x

<><><><>

I missed my truck. I fixed it up myself, when I first received my permit. I bought it from the local junkyard, and managed to restart the engine. I wind my window down, enjoying the freedom, playing music as loud as the sound system lets me. My Father and Quentin always sleep off their hangovers, so mornings were always my favorite time of day. As long as I kept it to a reasonable volume, nobody cared if I blasted the Beach Boys throughout the house, as I got ready for school.

I reach school, and claim my spot near the dumpsters, turning off the music, parking. I take a deep breath, trying to settle my anxiety. This is it. Get through today, and it will be easier the next. I grab my backpack, and climb out my car, locking it. I don't know what will happen today. All I know is that I need to go through with this. I can't break.

I avoid the back way, the way I usually go, and head to the front doors. I see Evan with his friends at the gates, and strategically avoid that path. I get inside, and head to my locker, keeping a cautious eye out for anyone I needed to avoid. My plan so far is avoid until absolutely necessary. I gather my things, and head to class, just wanting to get out of the hallway. I enter class, not surprised that I'm alone.

I sit down in my seat, and get out my textbook. With all the hubbub throughout the whole month or so, I've gone down from seven chapters ahead to four, and I need to catch up. Seems like a good a time as any. I work through the book, keeping my headphones firmly in my ears. One by one, students trickle in, but I ignore them, and stay focused on my work. Because I'm so focused, it takes me a while to recognize the shadow on my work. I pull out my headphones, and look up, to see Alex, frowning down at me.

"What the f*ck is going on?" He growls at me, shutting my textbook. I stare at him, not sure what to say, how to answer him. It turns out, I don't have to. A body slides into the seat next to me, pulling my chair closer to his.

"How about you move along?" Evan smirks, as his buddies sit down at the desks, creating a circle around me. Trapped.

"To hell I will-" He starts, staring ferociously at Evan, but is cut off as the teacher enters the room.

"Alright, everybody take your seats." He says, slumping in his seat. "Turn to page 56 and shut up, Alex, that applies to you." Alex gives me one more terrifying look, before retreating, sitting in the only available seat, on the other side of the room.

The whole lesson consisted of Alex staring at me, not once looking away, completely ignoring the text book, and simply telling our teacher where to go when he was yelled at. Evan has his hand tightly gripped around mine under the table, knowing quite well it was driving him insane.

"You know." Evan smirks under his breath. "You're looking astounding today." Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Alex's face twitch, indicating he is going to quite literally explode at any minute. I try to remove my hand from his grip, but he simply holds it tighter, and I gasp at the pain.

"Please let go." I say quietly. "I'm not going anywhere."

"I know." He chuckles. "It's not like you can. But it's driving Alex crazy, therefore I'm going to keep going." The bell rings, and I breath a sigh of relief, however the day is not going to get any easier.

<><><><>

The morning continued in the form of hell. When I did share a class with Alex, I was always placed in the middle of Evan's bulldogs, who seemed to enjoy the torture inflicted upon me. Bianca would sit with Alex and Jake, and I was grateful for that, as she served as a distraction for them, however that didn't stop Alex from keeping his eyes trained on me.

Evan puts his arm around my waist, as we travel down the hall to lunch, earning surprised looks and stares from everyone along the way. Soon, the news will spread that I'm back with Evan, as I 'begged' for him to forgive me, as I apparently realized that the skinny dipping incident was my fault. He generously agreed to give me another chance. At least that is what people have been saying, and I'm sure Evan has encouraged that rumor.

The cafeteria seems to be clear of the River boys at what was our usual table, and I assume Bianca persuaded them to return to their place behind the gym, and again, that is why I love her. I would hate for the younger boys to have to realize what I've done like this.

"Did you drive here Harper?" Evan asks, as he runs his hand down my back, making me shudder. I nod, and focus on my sandwich.

"Don't leave until I see you." He smirks, and goes back to talking to his friends. I realize that I have no more classes with Evan today. Although that should be a good thing, it is going to be harder to avoid the River boys talking to me.

As lunch ends, Evan pulls me aside, pulling me closer to him.

"If you decide to pull some shit, you know what will happen." He says smoothly, swiftly giving me a slap on the butt. I hate him. He hands me over to Ian, who smirks.

"Come on doll." He says. "I think you can finish my homework for me this period." I'm lead away, as I silently cuss Evan out in my head. I hate him I hate him I hate him.

I'm placed in the middle of Ian and Devin, who took full advantage of my completed homework, which occupied them enough to leave me some personal space. Now and then, I look up to see Bianca giving me sympathetic looks, however Alex doesn't look up once.

It makes my heart sink. I guess Bianca drilled it into him. But I know him. He won't give up that easily.

<><><><>

The bell rings for the end of the day, and Ian and Devin smirks at me, leading me down the hallway. They wait patiently as I pack my bag, closing my locker shut. They escort me out into the parking lot, and drop me off at my car.

"Wait for Evan here." Devin smirks, before they leave me, heading for the group of cheerleaders gathered at the fountains. I wait, enjoying the peace, the first time I've been left alone all day. I close my eyes, soaking up sun. It doesn't last long, as I'm interrupted.

"Hey!" I open my eyes, to see Alex towards me. I open my mouth, not sure what to do. This is to hard.

"Hi." I say quietly, looking around, hoping Evan doesn't turn up.

"I don't know what the hell is going on." He spits. "But all I know, is that it isn't because of you, is it?"
 I stay quiet, not wanting to answer. "I don't believe Bianca's bullshit about how you need space, or how it's not my fault, and it's for the best. She may be your best friend, but she's a shitty liar."

"You need to go." I see quickly, seeing Evan exit the school doors.

"Not until you-"

"You need to leave." I insist, eyes wide. "You're going to get me into trouble." He stares at me, furious, but the anger is slowly seeping away.

"This isn't over." He says, before pushing off my car, and jogging towards the back of the school, where I can see Jake watching from a distance.

"What did I say about causing trouble?" Evan calls out, coming closer.

"I didn't start the conversation." I tell him. "I promise. I didn't say anything." He pushes my body against the car with his, stroking my hair.

"I believe you." He says, grinning. "Now get in your car, and drive home. Get some sleep. If you thought today was fun, get ready for tomorrow."