Five

Classes ended too soon. Most days she despised class. They were boring and useless. Rene never fooled herself into thinking she'd be anywhere but here or someplace similar. Like Miss Rachel said, daydreaming was a waste of time. But today was different it was group day. Two hours of sitting with her fellow inmates discussing how to better themselves and "supporting" each other's struggles by someone who really understands it. Or some other load of crap that the people in charge kept telling her whenever she had an "episode" during them. An episode, so nicely deemed by Miss Rachel, usually involved her ignoring, being heavily sarcastic, or punching someone, depending on her mood. Michael voice echoed in her mind, why can't Rene make friends? She snorted to herself. Michael was not the first one to deem her made of ice and would no doubt not be the last. Rene kept people at arm's length for a reason. Who said she wanted to make friends anyway. People just disappointed. They abandoned you. They hurt you. The thought was heavy. It weighed at her. Rene desperately shook her head. Not everyone was like that. She had Danny and Cassie. They were true friends.

The thought made her smile. Of course Cassie and she had met because they were roommates, the first one to stick after a long string of failures. Cassie with her sweet innocence and bright smile, plus her pure stubbornness and tenacity had really got to Rene. The girl was really something else. Then there was Danny. He had been another outcast, weird among the weirds. He had sat by himself from the moment he got here and avoided everyone like the plague. The only time he talked was when spoken to if even then. The first time she realized he wasn't so bad was when he told off Kristy during a free period they shared a couple years ago. Kristy had gone so red in the face and moved to slap him. Rene intervened though and took the hit. After that Cassie insisted that they all had to be and were as a matter of fact best friends. And once Cassie got something in her head it tended to stand as law. They had been together ever since. They were a force, a bubble of weirdness and in that solidarity, against the asylum including everything and everyone in it.

Rene trudged into the group room. Specifically designed for group therapy, the chairs were nailed down so angry patients could not use them as a weapon against each other. Rene couldn't help but smile, they knew her so well. The room was also supposedly sound proof to encourage opening up though she had always been skeptical about that. She plopped down into a chair semi in the corner, being as the group was a "welcoming" circle that was difficult. Her seat though still allowed herself to be back to a wall and facing the door just in case.

Rene leaned back and slumped into the chair so her neck was resting on the top of it. It allowed her to stare at the ceiling and screamed leave me alone, at least that's what she hoped for. The sound of feet slapped across the floor and throughout the room. She worked hard to suppress a groan. Two hours, how was she ever going to make it? Rene closed her eyes trying to block out the people as she wondered who would be leader today. Miss Rachael didn't usually lead groups. She saved that for her eager interns and grad students. Most of which Rene was fairly sure needed some therapy themselves. "Well hello everyone!" a cheery voice boomed through the tiny room.

Rene carefully peeled an eye open to see who the pain was today. Scarlet. She smiled one of those super model grins that made men fall to their knees expressing their undying love. A smile that made everyone feel special and valued. Rene rolled her eyes before closing them again. "Rene darling you need to wake up."

Scarlet sang from above her. Rene suppressed a growl and pried her eyes open. Scarlet's shining brown eyes meet her own with that stupid smile still stretched as wide as humanly possible. Scarlet flipped her raven black hair over her shoulder as she turned back towards the group satisfied Rene wasn't going to sleep through the session. Rene forced herself to sit up and make an effort if only to keep Miss Rachael off her back, especially after today's fiasco she couldn't afford to be scrutinized further. Scarlet twirled in the middle of the circle, a beacon amidst the dullness that most of the patients gave off. Rene remembered Scarlet telling them she was a large portion Native American the first time she had lead. She really did look it. Like a Native American deity, she demanded attention without the more obvious effort Kristy had to employ.