Some Advice To Ask For A Perfect Date

"Light brown hair. Sparkly viridian eyes. Makes me laugh, cry, angry, happy, sad, and somehow free. Taller than me. Annoying but tolerable. Talented, amazing, wonderful. Always been, actually. Successful, ill-tempered, competitive, intelligent, possessive, somewhat selfish, but such flaws don't matter to me. Claims to care about me a lot. I would die for more hugs and kisses and touches and dates and just being with them..."

A ravenette and a brunette were talking to each other in the midst of a starry night. It was around nine o'clock, and the boys thought it would be a good idea if they both went camping in a tent at the laboratory backyard. They could hear the faint cries of crickets echoing in the wind, and the rustling of the leaves caused by the caress of a light and minty breeze.

Both have slightly forgotten about Ash's near confession at the beach, and so Ash decided to clean the slate and give Gary more distinct clues as to who really held his heart dearly. The brunette turned to the ravenette, hoping to see something on the younger's face to giveaway what he was talking about. Even in the subtle darkness, he could make up the admirable features of straight raven hair, the shadow of long eyelashes and a forming smile on the boy's pink lips.

"What's this about?" Gary asked like he didn't know. He needed some kind of confirmation, perhaps. The things Ash came up with to describe him was quite amusing though he was flattered by such words. It was all too sudden to sink into an unspeakable topic after discussing the latest update at the Kalos League. Ash was about to go to said region soon, and Gary knew he didn't need to ask if that meant his six-month-long holiday from travelling was almost over.

"You know what I'm talking about Gary. The one I love. I was just thinking, it's been a month and a half since I told you and you don't even know anything about them. I'm unfair, and I'm sorry... I still... I dunno, I have doubts about saying who exactly. I guess I'm just easing in with clues. I'm really sorry, Gary, I know we're best friends and all but I-"

The researcher put a finger to Ash's lips, who instantly stopped talking before he could even finish. Ash didn't even notice when Gary had gotten so close to him. They were lying next to each other covered with their own comfortable blankets, and because the tent was large they were at least a metre away from one another. Until then...

Ash was thankful it was nighttime, as he didn't want Gary to see the furious blush he sported instantly. He'd been doing that a lot lately - blushing of course. It was just that the seventeen year old was always so close to him and touching him and hugging him and holding his hand that he sometimes forgot he had lungs for a reason and he just couldn't stop feeling fuzzy and happy being around the older boy.

One could say Ash was happy enough just to be next to Gary, even if they couldn't ever be together romantically. Gary would never like him that way, and they were both boys. It didn't matter to him though. They were already very close, as a figure of speech and literally, and if he ever confessed he had no doubt things between them would become chaotic instead of for the better. They were better off just as friends. He already had Gary, anyway.

"Ashy..." Gary broke the silence with a careful whisper. Even Gary's voice made Ash feel weak in the knees. Everything about the brunette just made him feel happy beyond measure.

"Why do you love her?"

Gary hated saying the stupid pronoun, but it was all he could think of if he wanted to hide the fact he knew Ash had feelings for him. It wasn't time to confess yet. It had to be perfect. He needed to wait a bit more, and Ash did, too.

Pained hazel eyes looked into emerald as the word 'her' echoed through both their ears. If Gary just knew it wasn't a girl that Ash loved, but only the very person lying next to him right then. Why couldn't the ravenette just tell him? Why was he so scared? He was leaving to Kalos soon and he couldn't put it off forever! Why why why? It was all so troublesome!

"I-I don't know why. I always just did. From the beginning, on the day we first met, I knew I liked them immediately. Loved. Whatever. I don't really have a reason to, but I do, and my feelings are there, and I can't suppress them, or tell that person, or even admit to them that I love them. I'm scared, and I don't know why, and I know I'm being stupid, but I would give up my whole dream if that meant we could be together."

Why, why, why did they have to make it so hard for themselves when they could finally be together? Gary needed more time. Ash was too coward to say anything. Gary's plan was coming along smoothly, and he couldn't abandon what he had already started. 'Soon. Just a few more days... please... wait for me, Ashy. You can't leave yet.'

"Sleep beside me, will you? I'm freezing." The older boy scooted over, resting his head on Ash's chest and wrapping long arms possessively around the Pikachu Trainer. He could hear how fast the hazel-eyed boy's heartbeat was; a rhythm that he'd wished to say was beating solely for him.

A strong hand pushed off a body to the left side of the tent. Ash was shaking nervously. "Ash?" Gary said softly. Was there something wrong?

This time around, Ash got up and laid his head on Gary's chest, hugging him closer in the process. It was perfect. It was as if they were made to complete each other. Just lying there peacefully, so close to each other... Ash didn't need to ask for a miracle to get Gary to fall in love with him. It was perfect. They were perfect. And it was enough.

"You're too heavy, Gary. I'M sleeping on YOU." Ash pouted as he snuggled against the other boy to make himself as comfortable as ever. It was after that that Gary spoke up, a tiny question bothering his mind.

"Ashy... I need some advice." He muttered, joining hands with the one he loved most.

"Hmm..."

"What's the best place to take someone on their birthday?"

"Mmph...what...for...?" Ash mumbled tiredly in an attempt to fight off sleep.

"The one I love... my best friend... the person that means so much to me that I can't imagine a life without them... the one who's next to me right now, the one I can't let go off..." Gary hoped Ash was still listening... such a confession, though sugar-coated with advice, was direct enough for him, right? He just hoped Ash wasn't too dense...

Ash had his eyes closed already, and his mind hadn't processed what Gary said very well from exhaustion. He interpreted the information as Gary having a special someone who meant the world to him, and it never crossed Ash's mind that this best friend and lover of the Eevee Trainer's was him himself. He knew not to get his hopes too high, and he didn't. But it still hurt and he was jealous, even at such a sleepy state.

"Amusement...park...take her there..." He whispered, squeezing the Pokémon Researcher to himself as tight as he could. If he couldn't be with Gary then he may as well treasure being with him while he still could. Tears formed and fell unknowingly and Ash had no more energy or will to fight the unconscious state he was soon to slip into.

Her. How the two hated that pronoun so very much. Why did society expect them to love women, and being different proved to be wrong? It wasn't fair. Society needed to mind its own business.

"I love you, Ashy. It's you. It's you I love, don't misunderstand!" The researcher desperately declared to the air.

It was too late. Ash was already asleep. He had never heard, and he would never want to know. Gary didn't want to wake him up and tell him, so he decided to confirm it with him in the morning. Just a few more hours... What a nice way to end the day.

They had to stop with all the useless advice they were giving one another. It wasn't helping. 'Just a few more days,' Gary thought, wrapping his arms around the best friend he loved so protectively.

'I love you Ash. No more of these given advices. Actions, feelings. I'll let you know soon. How I love you so.'

***************************************************************************************

A.N. *evil laugh in the background*