Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

"The Money I Stole"

Thud. Thud. Thud.

This was the sound of my feet hitting the pavement as I ran. As I arrived to the Wilson's mansion I dumped all my school stuff out of my back pack by the front door. I ran inside towards my room and packed. I threw T-shirts, jeans, pajamas, and etc. After I was done I gently placed my sketchbook in my back pack and bursted out of my room.

Nobody was home since school is still going on and Mrs. Wilson is at work.

My backpack was hanging off my shoulder as I ran down the stairs. But then the thought occurred to me.

How was I going to get to Texas?

I stopped half-way down the stairs and took a swift turn to go back up, but when I did my sketch book fell out. I didn't notice until my foot slipped on it and I fell backwards. I reached my hands out towards a railing, but I was too late. A sudden pain started at the back of my head.

I groaned as I sat up and collected my sketch book back into my back pack and pulled out a beanie. I threw the beanie over my head, but I felt a thick liquid as I did. I brought my hands back down and saw blood.

Well at least the beanie will cover up the blood.

I slowly stood up as a idea came to mind. Last night Dalton and that girl were gathering money.

Money you could use to buy a flight back to Texas.

I sprinted to the kitchen and saw the drawer they pulled money out of. I tried pulling it open, but it wouldn't budge. It needs a key.

Think Sam Think!

Mr. Wilson had whispered something to the girl before she left. I saw her put something under the mat in front of the backdoor.

I opened the back door and pulled up the mat. Bingo!

I picked up the key and unlocked the drawer.

Holy shit.

There's tons and tons of money in here.

"Sam?"

I jumped at the sudden voice. I thought I was alone and I so wish I was when I saw who called my name.

"Hey! Mrs. Wilson!" I said plastering a fake smile and acting like I hadn't found thousands and thousands of dollars.

"What are you doing?"

Mrs.Wilson was at an angle so she couldn't see the open drawer- I was covering it with my body.

"Oh well you know. Uh- stuff." I internally face palmed. 

Really Sam?

I know. I know. I'm a complete idiot.

"I think I know what this is about." Mrs. Wilson had this look in her eyes as if she knew what was going on the whole time.

Oh no. She found out.

"You do?"

Mrs. Wilson took a step forward as I silently closed the drawer a little behind my back.

"Of course I do." She gave me a warming smile and now I kinda feel bad since I was about to steal her money. "The school has been calling me about you skipping art class. Now I figured you would come talk to me when you felt like it, but you hadn't. I kept making excuses at the school saying I picked you up forgetting to sign you out. I never figured you'd come home during art period, so I would always just go out. But now I realize you come home, so you could come talk to me, right? I'm sorry I was never here for you to come talk to me."