Chapter One

Lia

I rushed home from work, trying to get to my parents' house in time for dinner. They had called a "family dinner", insisting it was urgent and seeing that I basically made up a third of our family the chances of me skipping and getting away with it were highly unlikely. There was no way they wouldn't notice, believe me I've tried.

It was about fifteen minutes past five when I pulled up to the comfortable little suburban house. I noticed several unusual things right off the bat.

1. There were three large, black, heavily tinted SUVs parked in front of their house,
2. The front door was wide open, and most importantly
3. There was shouting and crying coming from inside.

Seriously, how did the nosy neighbors not notice this kind of thing but always managed to see when I snuck out with my best friend Naia? Ugh typical.

Now your average rational thinking person would have slowly pulled away and headed to the nearest police station to report the matter and get back up from professionals but unfortunately, my lovely, far from rational, paranoid, worst case scenario conjuring mind wasn't down with that plan. Instead, it instructed my by now leaden feet to ignore my racing heart and move towards the violence.

Feet really, we don't need to be going in this direction! I don't wanna be the dumb girl in the movies that everyone yells at to not go into the house!

Move now. Think later.

I sighed and resigned myself to whatever trouble I was about to get into. I mean it was worth a try, if those super cool women in CSI could do it then so could I! With my mind made up, running on pure adrenaline and about a gallon of fear I burst, yes BURST onto the scene with no definite plan in mind. Now I couldn't say for sure why I didn't quietly sneak in through the back to assess the situation and form a plan, but it was too late now. Pfft, of course not who does that right? It's all about dramatic effect.

I felt my jaws unhinge and gape open as I took in the sight before me. Two burly, black suited men were holding my sobbing father captive, while yet another hulk like man in a black suit restrained my wailing mother, effectively ruining every good childhood memory I ever had of this living room. Never in even my wildest dreams, and believe me I've really wild dreams, did I think it could become a potential crime scene.

Naturally, my grand entrance didn't go I unnoticed as all eyes in the room had now turned their attention to me.

Well shit, maybe this wasn't such a great plan, I thought to myself a bit too late, time for damage control!

"Err, well hey fellaz! How's it hanging?" I laughed nervously.

No one else laughed. My parents looked crestfallen as I yet again surprised them with my uncanny ability to get myself into all manner of trouble, I sent them an apologetic glance. It was partially their fault for inviting me over anyway. I mean isn't there a sixth sense that's suppose to tell you when something bad is going to happen?

"Restrain her." A beautiful, slightly accented voice stated, silencing my rambling thoughts.

Well Lia, you've really screwed up this time.

Naia was gonna be so jealous, if I survived this of course.