Chapter Five

Lia

I sat quietly next to him in the backseat, too caught up in my own worries to try to alleviate the deafening silence. This was surprisingly not difficult, it wasn't like he was trying to make small talk either. I sighed, okay maybe if I thought up possible positive outcomes of the situation it wouldn't feel so much like a prison sentence.

Okay let's do this! Hmmm, my parents won't die. That's definitely a plus, as long as this jerk keeps his side of the bargain. But then what if he doesn't? Oh noooo! What if he doesn't?! And they die?! I'd have to kill him! Grrrr I'd wait till he's asleep and smother his beautiful face with a pillow, I'd-

"Stop thinking so hard, it's making you scowl and if you're face gets stuck like that I'm not marrying you." He said in a completely serious tone.

Superficial prick.

Darn. I forgot how open my face was, that's partially why my professors had advised I stick to paralegal studies. I would have probably cost my firm a lot of cases with my inability to maintain a poker face, as well as my nonexistent brain to mouth filter if I became a practicing lawyer. Well there went my attempt at positive thinking. I shot him one final glare for the insult before deciding to voice my concerns.

"How do I know you'll keep your side of the agreement and not hurt my parents?"

He turned his body slightly so we could better see each other and then answered my question.

"I would usually say I'm a man of my word, but you clearly aren't in a position to believe that yet," he begun, "marrying me will place you as well as your parents under my protection. Basically granting you all immunity from my family as you will become family."

"But what about your brother's money?" I asked.

"The debt would be canceled, but to ensure the matter is finished once and for all I'll repay him myself." He stated simply.

I couldn't help the way my eyes bugged out, "That's a lot of money!"

He looked unfazed by this, which only made me wonder more about him and his situation which by the damn way I was still unaware of.

"If you're so rich, why don't you just buy your way out of whatever trouble you're in?"

"I've tried, but unfortunately throwing money around won't solve this and remember you're benefiting from this too."

He had a point there.

"Well what-"

"Lia, please enough with the questions, we've arrived."

I rolled my eyes and turned looking out the window to see where it is he had taken me. We were currently stalling in front of a very cozy but expensive looking restaurant and bar called "Foodgasm". As if on cue my stomach growled loudly, it was then I remembered that I hadn't eaten since breakfast because I wanted to have enough space for my mother's cooking. Well that brilliant idea sure backfired.

"I figured you'd be hungry since you didn't dine with your parents, let's go." He said, getting out of the car then offering me an arm to help me out, I took it.

"How did you know I didn't eat anything?" I asked curiously, as we stood by the car not moving.

"Your mother said I was just in time for dinner when she opened the door, I assume she thought I was you." I fell quiet after that, not wanting to continue this line of conversation.

We stood silently for another couple of minutes, before hunger overrode my desire to not speak to him.

"What are we standing here for? Sight seeing?! I'm hungry! Feed me or let me go feed myself!" I snapped, as if I could even afford a restaurant of this caliber but hungry Lia is not a bundle of joy, neither was she a logical thinker.