Chapter One - The Road

It was a rainy day, and I absolutely despised it. The quiet, depressing tap of each drop on the window made my stomach turn.

It reminded me too much of the day described in the note.

I tried to push that thought to the back of my mind, but it was too much to bear.

If it wasn't for my phone, I probably wouldn't have moved from my spot in bed. I rolled onto my side and reached for my phone, unplugging it and reading the text preview on the screen.

It was from Michael: You better have that spare room ready for me!

I was thoroughly confused, until an NHL notification popped up on my phone.

Winnipeg Jets sign F Michael Frolik.

I was in utter disbelief.

I sat up quickly, and turned on the TV to SportsCentre. And there it was, one the BottomLine.

Winnipeg Jets sign F Michael Frolik.

I couldn't help but smile. For the first time, in a long time, I wasn't going to have to live alone anymore.

Although, it was nothing near like Anna around.

Just thinking about her, left a nasty, bitter taste in my mouth...

...But, I loved it at the same time.

I quickly texted Michael back, my hands shaking like mad.

He read my text but never responded.

I looked at the time, then, only to realize it was almost 10:00 AM. I rolled out of bed slowly, sitting up on the edge of the bed. I ran my hands over my face and through my scraggly hair, before getting up for real.

Exiting my room, I was flooded with some sort of emotion I just couldn't describe. Like, a flood of sadness. I had no idea where it came from, let alone why it came.

But, like most mornings, the feeling probably came from hoping she'd already be up; preparing her specialty: cereal.

She never was a good chef.

Instead, I poured myself a bowl of the first cereal I grabbed from the pantry, and took a seat at the island.

I stared out the window across from me, where the light shone through, and watched as the trees swayed in the gentle wind.

It was mesmerizing.

So mesmerizing, that I never even noticed I had already finished my cereal, and my phone was ringing. I rushed into my room, and answered it, without looking at the Caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Pavs," Michael spoke, "You sound like you just woke up."

"I did," I chuckled, "I'm not running on European time anymore, Michael, it's only ten here."

"I know," Michael replied, "But you're normally an early riser."

"Oh yeah? Well what do I have to wake up for anymore?"

The other line went silent. I was sure he knew he triggered something. Maybe I overreacted, but it was true.

"Well, uh," he cleared his throat, "I'll be leaving for Winnipeg tomorrow."

"Okay, see you then." I said abruptly, hanging up the call and slamming my phone onto the counter in front of me.

I placed my head in my hands, and let out a sigh.

"Why did you have to leave me?" I asked quietly, looking up. "I miss you so much..."

A tear fell down my face, but it wasn't for her. It was for me; for me, because I had fallen for her cruel trick. I was held hostage by her love, and played along in her stupid game.

Only to lose.

Just when I thought I had won, I had actually lost it all.

I hated her for it.

It was then, that a tear fell from my cheek, and onto the phone in my lap. It was unlocked, and my phone revealed a picture of Anna, from after our first date. She was all-natural; one of the rare times she wasn't wearing makeup. And honestly, I preferred it that way.

We were cuddling on the couch, after looking through a few photos from our childhood. Her head was rested upon my chest, with the covers pulled up to her chin. All night, I had tried to capture her pure beauty in a photo, but she refused. And when I had the chance, I took it, and the photo turned out perfectly.

I stared at her green eyes, and the way they sparkled. I stared at her hair, and the way it looked so beautiful in that messy bun... And the tired smile on her face...

It was then, that I tossed my phone on the spot next to me, and crawled back into bed for the rest of the day.