Chapter Seven - My Heart's to Blame

A few weeks later...

After being excused from not only training camp and preseason, but Paul insisted I sit out a few regular season games, too. He told me it would be too much pressure on me, too soon. I had no choice but to agree, and since then, I've been watching the games from my home.

But, not today.

"What the hell?" I muttered, fiddling with my neck tie.

"Ooh la la," Nicola commented, making me jump slightly, "Someone's looking quite handsome today."

I turned to face her. "Thanks."

"May I?" She giggled softly.

I nodded, allowing Nicola to fix my tie.

"I suppose you're going to watch this game at the arena?" She asked, her eyes glued to the tie around my neck.

"Yeah," I shrugged, "I figured it was about time I left the house."

She chuckled, patting my chest, "There we are."

Her eyes met mine instantly, and we stood there silently... Until Michael entered the living room, pulling Nicola close to him. She turned back towards me, flashing a soft smile before Michael lead her out the door.

Suddenly, I couldn't help but feel anger consume me. Like, Michael was trying to rub it in.

He's happy, and I'm not.

That's how it seems to always be.

Before I could stop myself, my fist had hit the wall. Luckily, I didn't leave a hole, but I knew this isn't me; deep down, this isn't who I am.

I backed away from the wall slowly, pulling at my hair. I took a deep breath in, and ran out the door, all the way to my vehicle.

"What's wrong with me?" I shouted, sitting down in the driver's seat. "I'm a mess, what's WRONG with me?"

I rested my head upon the steering wheel for a few moments, until I finally cooled off enough to go to the arena.

Luckily, the drive was only twenty minutes. I parked the car and took a deep breath, before finally building up the strength to go inside.

"Hey Pavs," Jacob called, running towards me, "How's it going?"

"I'm fine," I smiled briefly, "It's all good, thanks."

He didn't look convinced, but it wasn't my mission to convince people that I wasn't feeling shitty anymore.

"You playing tonight?" Another voice called. I turned around to see Mark approaching me.

"Not tonight, Scheifs," I sighed, "I just came to see some of you guys, and watch you guys kick some Oiler ass!"

They both laughed hysterically, until they had to head off for the dressing room.

I placed my headphones in my ears, and headed down the hallway to the box; listening to Bruce Springsteen.

Upon entering the seating area, I was greeted by a few of the wives and girlfriends; one of which was Nicola.

"I'm really sorry about Michael-"

"Don't mention it," I interrupted, trying to step around her.

"No, really," she insisted, pulling me back, "He told me how sorry he was."

"I'll believe it when I see it, sweetheart." I scoffed, pushing past her and to the seats in front of the glass.

I proceeded to watch the guys' pregame skate, until I felt a presence next to me. It was Samantha Wheeler.

"Hey, Ondrej," she smiled, "How're you doing?"

"I'm doing well," I insisted, answering her like I would anyone else.

"Are you sure?" She pressed, rubbing my back like Nicola did the other day.

"Well, no," I confessed, "I met a girl a little while ago, and I kissed her, and felt completely guilty afterwards. But then, last night I had a dream of Anna telling me to go and be happy."

"Oh, Ondrej," she smiled sincerely at me, "You shouldn't feel guilty about that! You have to move on; no matter how much you love Anna, she'll always know it."

It was the first time, in a long time, I actually felt comfortable talking about her with anyone. Sam made me feel like the emotions I felt, were normal. Like I wasn't some crazy, lovesick puppy.

Although I didn't believe that Anna knew how much she truly meant to me, I knew it was time to move on.

"Thanks, Sam," I whispered, "It really means a lot."

"I'm here everyday, sweetie," she hummed, giving me a hug before heading off with the other women.

I turned back to the ice, watching as the guys stood for the national anthems.

And suddenly, I felt as though I could breathe again...

As the final buzzer sounded, the boys ended up getting a 4-1 win over the Oilers. I was proud of them, but I had to get out of there as fast as I could.

I said good-bye to the ladies, and headed directly for the door. I raced through the corridors, and all the way down to the basement, until I reached the parking lot.

"Ondrej!" A female's voice called from behind me. I never even bothered looking back; instead, I sped up.

I wasn't in the mood to take pictures with some fan-girl.

I climbed into the driver's seat quickly, slamming against the seat. Everything was silent, until there was a knock on the window. I turned to look, and to my surprise, it was Daniela.

I opened the door quickly, and stepped out.

"The guys told me you'd be here," she explained, out of breath, "I managed to make it to the game tonight, and took you up on your offer of coming to see you in the locker room."

I smiled for a second, until my face fell once again.

"Are you okay, love?" She asked, concerned.

She didn't know about Anna, and I wanted to keep it that way. She was the only person who treated me normally.

"Yeah, of course," I insisted, grabbing her hands.

"Look, maybe I should just go-"

"No," I interrupted, pulling her closer to me. I placed a kiss on her nose. "I need to see you again."

"L-like, a date?" She stumbled upon her words.

"Yeah," I smiled, "I'd like that."