Chapter Four - Wait and See

It was midnight, and my options for places to visit were limited; until I reached the bar.

I headed directly to the counter, where I just ordered a beer. After receiving my beverage, I turned to look for somewhere to sit. I looked around for a moment, until I noticed a familiar face.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing sitting alone?" I questioned, catching her off guard.

"Ondrej!" She blushed, patting the chair next to her.

"I just thought a girl like you would need a bodyguard," I chuckled, sitting down next to her, "You know, with all the drunks around here."

She giggled, before taking a sip from her drink.

"What are you doing here alone?" I asked, "What happened to you boyfriend?"

She frowned and looked away, "We broke up the night he arrived here."

"I really hope you weren't too upset," I commented, "A girl as amazing as you, Daniela, don't deserve a moron like him, anyways."

I looked at her, wrapping my arm around the back of her chair.

"But, Ondrej," she retorted, "You don't get it, I still love him, that's the thing..."

Little did she know, I knew all too well what she was going through. Although, I never really talked about her anymore, let alone bring her up to people I just met.

"I get it," I said, in an attempt to comfort her, "It can't be easy to get over someone you've loved so much, for so long..."

It pained me to no end to utter those words. I hated pretending I didn't know what it felt like.

"It really isn't," she agreed, her voice softening, "You know, you're really sweet, Ondrej..."

"Oh, I know," I smirked, giving her a wink.

She slugged my shoulder.

"Well, I mean, you probably have to be smooth," she started, "see as how you're a hockey player... You can have any girl you want, whenever you want her."

Oh, the contrary, my dear. I had the only girl I wanted, and she's gone now.

"Yeah, I guess," I laughed softly, shrugging.

"I can't believe I'm actually at a bar, at midnight, explaining all my problems to a guy I practically just met."

"Hey, didn't we agree we're friends?" I reminded her, giving her a soft slug on the shoulder.

"You're right," she giggled, smiling softly. "I forgot."

"How dare you forget me?" I cried, holding a hand to my chest as if I were actually insulted.

I just hoped she'd pick up on my sarcasm.

"I'm so sorry," she explained, her voice pained, "Will you ever forgive me?"

I chuckled softly and crossed my arms, looking back at the door.

"You're really funny," she observed, breaking the awkward silence I created.

"Thanks," I muttered, emotionless. I was too distracted by the door.

For a second, I could've sworn I'd seen her.

Like, when she'd come to the bar while the guys and I are celebrating, to check on me. To make sure I wasn't getting into 'too much trouble', as she'd always say. And after having a few drinks herself, we'd walk home together, hand-in-hand.

I couldn't possibly replace that... But, I knew I had to try.

"Ondrej?"

Daniela's voice broke my train of thought.

"What?" I turned to her and shouted.

"I-I'm sorry-"

"No, I'm sorry," I insisted, placing my hand upon hers on the table. I stroked the top of her hand briefly, before pulling away. "I didn't mean to yell like that..."

"Don't mention it," she insisted, flashing me a grin.

I looked down at the table where our drinks sat, only to notice her glass was empty.

"Can I buy you a drink?"

That 'drink', turned into multiple. And a few beers later, the thoughts of Anna just seemed to disappear.

It was refreshing; it was almost as if I could finally live my life, without carrying around guilt and remorse.

As we continued to talk, I grew closer and closer to this girl. I felt like I could be myself around Daniela; like I meant more than just some attractive, millionaire hockey player to her. She could see who I really was, and that's what I wanted more than ever.

"Oh shit," Daniela cried, "It's already three in the morning! I have to work tomorrow morning..."

"It's okay," I reassured her, "Just go home."

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Go home," I whispered, holding her shoulders and looking her directly in the eyes.

"Look, Ondrej, I had such an amazing night, I'm just sorry it had to end like this..."

I pulled her into a hug, then, in an attempt to quit her rambling.

"Don't worry about it," I insisted, "Just have a goodnight, okay?"

"Thanks," she smiled, before turning away and heading for the door.

I watched as she left the building. And moments later, I followed.

"Daniela!" I called after her, jogging to catch up.

"Ondrej?" She turned to me, "what are you doing?"

"There's something that I've been putting off since I met you," I rushed, breathless.

I pulled her towards me, closing the gap between us completely. I placed my hands on her face, and pulled her in for a kiss. As we broke apart, she looked up at me, shell-shocked.

"Look," I started, "If you ever find yourself at a Jets game someday, make sure to stop by the locker room and say 'hello'."

---

I'm SO sorry... This chapter is a filler/plot twist all-in-one. Plus, It's slightly on the shorter side. And I know, it's rushed and sloppily written, but I swear it will get better.

Hope you're enjoying it so far!

-Courtie :) xx