Chapter Eight - World So Cold

Another update! Yay! I mean, it's not like really anyone cares, but I have some really good ideas for this story coming up, and I really want to share them with you ASAP! :)

---

Daniela and I had agreed to go out a couple nights later, after the game.

I was finally given the green light, and allowed to start in net against the Ducks.

It was currently ten in the morning, and I had quickly realized that I over slept. My alarm had never went off, and I knew I couldn't rely on Michael to wake me up, and I was sure Nicola was still asleep.

I rolled out of bed slowly, and took a look at my phone. There were multiple missed calls from Zach, a voicemail from Paul, and a missed text from Daniela.

I unlocked my phone to read the text from her.

Daniela:
I can't wait for our date tonight. :*

I smiled upon reading it, and turned my phone off. Things really were starting to look up for me.

I continued to day-dream for awhile, until my phone rang. This time, it was Jacob. I answered it cautiously.

"Hello?"

"Ondrej," he cried, "Are you alright, bud? You're late for practice!"

"I know," I hummed, my head still in an alternate universe, "Give me thirty minutes, okay?"

The phone hung up then. I threw myself out of bed, grabbing a pair of pants and a t-shirt. I headed out of the apartment as fast as I could.

Once arriving at the arena, I was almost certain I'd be the only one left in the locker room, but there were still a few guys sitting around, talking.

"Honestly, I'm not surprised Ondrej's not here," Evander said.

"Why do you say that?" Jacob asked, nervously.

"Because," Evander started, "If I lost my girlfriend, I'd be heartbroken, too."

"Well, you'd eventually get over-"

"No way, man," he interrupted, "If I loved my girl as much as Ondrej loved Anna, I don't think I ever could."

I stood around the corner, silently, listening to their conversation. Luckily, Jacob changed the subject quickly.

"Let's get out there," he insisted, "Before Coach makes us bag skate."

Evander agreed, and the guys left for the ice. As soon as I was sure, there was no on left, I began getting ready.

My stomach was in knots upon hearing Evander's comments.

"Maybe it's too early to be moving on", I thought to myself, "maybe I shouldn't be going out with Daniela."

So many thoughts flooded my head, that I totally forgot to get my gear on. And by the time I realized this, practice had already came to an end, and I could hear the guys start to file in.

I ran around the corner and hid, just before the first guy entered. It was Michael.

"You live with the guy," Blake pressed, "How could you not know he wasn't coming?"

"We're not exactly on speaking terms right now," he sighed, "We got in a fight, and now I feel like a complete ass for the things I said."

"We're a team, Fro," Blake reminded him, "You just gotta man up and apologize. You guys are best friends, I'm sure Ondrej's not mad."

I really wasn't, but I didn't feel as though it was my job to apologize. I didn't do anything wrong.

"You're right."

Was the last thing I heard Michael say, before I headed out to the parking lot. My mind raced, and I contemplated many things, before deciding to call it off with Daniela.

Me:
I can't make it tonight. I hope you understand.

She read the text almost immediately, but never responded. I felt like a complete and utter ass, now.

All I wanted to do was sleep; whether I woke up or not, it didn't matter anymore.

---

After the game that evening, it turned out that I had made it home before Michael, and Nicola had left a note saying she was staying at a friends.

I went directly for the fridge, and reached for the last beer. Just as I was about to crack it open, the door opened. It was Michael.

His eyes darted between me and the bottle in my hands, before stopping and narrowing at me.

"What are you doing home, Ondrej?" Michael asked nonchalantly.

"What? I can't even stay home without you judging me?" I spat, "Plus, where would I be?"

"Out with your girl," Michael smirked.

"How'd you know about Daniela?" I asked, "Plus, she's not 'my girl', Michael."

"Blake," he stated bluntly.

I took a step towards him, "You know my one and only girl is A-"

"I thought you said you were over her, Ondrej!" He cried, turning around and heading for the living room.

"I did," I agreed, "But, now I need her more than ever."

"Ondrej," Michael said softly, whipping around to face me, "You can't just agree to go on a date with a girl, and blow her off like that!"

"You don't understand!" Ondrej shouted.

"Yes, I do, Ondrej." Michael stared blankly at him. "I get it, you miss her... But, it's already been two years. I think it's time for you to move on..."

A pit formed in the bottom of my stomach.

Anna found her happiness, so why couldn't I?

"You're right..." I frowned, my voice cracking.

I knew exactly what I had to do...

Only moments later, I found myself in my car, about to do one of the stupidest things I've ever done.

I hesitantly knocked on the door softly, hoping not to wake her. The doorknob turned, and I could feel my stomach fall to my toes.

"Take me back?"