26; COLOSSEUMS AND SNAKE PITS

:: 26

1000 nights of you

500 days without you

-

/ florence /

As I reached campus, I took notice of the excessively long queue of students waiting outside. Today is the day we check our class inventory in which we decide whether we would like to drop a subject or pick a new one.

I huffed, trying to push my way through the seething mass of freshmen.  The sun scorched in the horizon. A sheet of sweat layered my forehead and soon enough, I was starting to feel the heat all over.

Once it was finally my turn, I internally breathed a sigh of relief. The lady in front of the computer gave me a half-assed smile, which was probably sugarcoated on my behalf. I couldn't blame her.

"Name?" She asked, her hands poised on the keyboard.

"Um.. Florence," I mumbled under the loudness of the crowd.

"I'm sorry?" She cocked her head to the side, trying to lean closer. "I'm afraid I didn't catch that."

I bent slightly, clutching my bags. "Florence Quinn," I said, more forcefully this time.

She nodded, whilst typing it into the student directory. 

"Alright," she sighed, peering at the screen. "You have got Philosophy 150. Henderson. 11:00 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday."

I nodded but in the corner of my eye, I could see her chuckling softly as she began to type.

I cleared my throat. "Is there something wrong..with my um.. inventory?"

"No, no," she shrugged and smiled, "Although, you might want to consider about getting a different professor."

"Why?"

"Let's just say you're wandering into a snake pit with this one," she mused sarcastically.

I laughed nonchalantly, looking around the west-facing periphery of the university. "Well, it can't be all that bad."

Suddenly, the lady looked up as if she were trying to conjure something in her head. Her eyes reconnected with mine and she pointed at me with a sharp finger. "Do you happened to have learned about Italian history?"

"In high school. Why?" I furrowed my eyebrows in perplexity.

She crossed her arms. "Alright, so think Roman Colosseum, lions, tens of thousands of people cheering for your death."

At that moment, I felt someone's elbow jabbing me in the back and I winced. I remembered that there were also students growing irritated as they waited for their turns.

I looked at the lady slightly distraught, before turning to leave, "I-I have to go."

"Have a good semester!" She beamed.

-

Climbing the empty staircase, I wound my way along the university's halls as I headed to the library. Philosophy was a new elective, and I need to be prepared for it by Monday.

I suddenly felt someone softly grab me by the elbow. I stumbled on my two feet. I grabbed the stair banister, startled. I swung around, only to find a breathless Harry.

Huffing, I spun away from him, stomping up the stairs as fast as I could. Seconds later, he briskly ran, taking two steps at a time, to match my pace.

I entered the library and sat at the nearest table. A few moments later, I heard footsteps softly clicking against the tiled floors and soon enough, Harry sat on the other end of the table.