Chapter 5

Andi

The blood drained on my face.

"I don't think you heard me, Andi. You are my wife. You're still my wife. We're not divorced," he said.

"What are you talking about? I signed the damn papers."

"I didn't file them," he said.

"What? Why would you do that?"

He shrugged. "I forgot."

"You forgot? That's it. You forgot?" I yelled in disbelief. "That's not something you just forget Ethan! What the hell is wrong with you?"

He glared at me and said, "I had a lot of things to take care of. I didn't get around to filing them."

I snorted in disbelief and rolled my eyes. "That's bullshit. You have people. Lawyers. All you have to do is say the word and it's done," I pointed out. "Why would you do this Ethan?" I asked.

He simply looked at me, which infuriated me.

"What if I had gotten married? I would have committed bigamy without even knowing it!"

"But you didn't. Stop overreacting."

"Overreacting?" I echoed. "You're something else, Ethan. You only care about yourself. And if you think, I'll let someone like you near my daughter then you're mistaken. I was wrong to think I could allow you to be a part of my daughter's life. The thing is Ethan. I don't trust you. I don't trust you not to break my daughter's heart, the same way you broke mine."

"Andi..."

I ignored him and walked towards the front door and held it open.

"I want you to leave or I'm going to call the sheriff and have you arrested for trespassing."

When he didn't move, I repeated myself, with more force. "Leave Ethan. And I want that divorce!"

"I'll be back. You're not going to get rid of me that easily," he said. He walked towards the door and I thought he was going to leave, but he stopped in front of me. "I'm not going to give you a divorce, Andi. We're going to be a family. For Faith's sake," he said. "I promised my daughter I was going to say goodbye before I leave, and I'm not leaving until I do so. I don't want to upset her."

I gave him a hard stare. He simply returned my state with a determined look on his face. He's not going to leave until he says goodbye to Faith.

I exhaled heavily. "You have two minutes Ethan. Two minutes, then I want you to leave," I said.

He nodded.

"I'll go get her," I said.

I walked up the stairs and headed to Faith's room.

I opened the door, and found Faith fixing her bed.

"Hey buttercup. Watcha doin'?"

"I'm making room for daddy, mommy. He can sleep beside me and tell me stories."

"Faith, honey, listen. Daddy can't stay tonight," I said."