Chapter 1: Katniss

"Mom, I'm not wearing that!" I yell.

"Yes you are, you idiot child!" She hisses back.

I bite back a few tears at the last remark, but over the years I've learned to ignore comments like that. In all fairness, she wanted a boy, and since I can obviously control if I'm a boy or girl before I am born it's all my fault. (That was totally not sarcasm.)

"Fine, I'll wear the stupid dress." I sigh.

There's some party tonight that like only the super rich people can attend, and unfortunately my family falls into that category. I've lost count of how many of these parties I've unwillingly gone to at this point. My mom is also trying to get me hooked up with this guy I hate, Gale Hawthorne. I know he likes me, because at every one of these parties, he's standing there staring at me with googly eyes.

I don't know, but there's something about him that I can't pinpoint. I still don't trust him, even though I forgave him for what he did to me. The reason my mom wants me eventually married to him is because his family is the richest in Panem, but I still don't like him. Because its all about that money.

---

(A.N. The dress is in the above picture.)

I slide the silky fabric up and pull the zipper up in the back. It's light blue, with a black bodice. It has a stream of crystals going around the back.  The dress has an uneven hem, and is higher in the front than the back. It is pretty, but the main reason I didn't want to wear it is because it makes me stand out, and I would be much happier blending into the crowd. I grab a black purse and black stilettos and head for the door.

As usual, a limo is pulled up to the front of our house. As I walk towards it, the chauffeur bounces out of the front seat to open the door for me. I flash him a small smile in thanks, and settle into the soft leather.

My sister Prim is in the next seat over. Every single time she comes with me, just so she can see my dress and what these parties are like. I've told her its not worth seeing, but she doesn't listen. Like always.

---

I pick up my purse and step out of the shiny limo. I wave at Prim, then Daniel, the driver and head towards the doors, for just another night. (A. N. I have no idea how these parties work and stuff cause I've never been to one, so sorry.)

A long table draped in white and silver holds food, so I make my way to the end of the line that has begun to form. There are elegant plates of cheese and crackers, and many other things. I would love to try everything, but I know that that will never work out.

But before I even get close to the line, someone taps my shoulder and bows, kissing my hand. "May I have this dance?" He says.

I recognize him immediately, of course it's Gale Hawthorne. He has too much gel in his hair, and a slight unibrow. A fishy smile completes the look.

"No, I want food first," I say, and turn away. I can feel his eyes boring into my back with frustration. But in my opinion he should learn to deal with that. And he shouldn't be so pushy.

Soon, I'm settled into my seat on the edge of the room. It is kind of fun to watch all the couple dancing around the floor when I have nothing better to do.

An orchestra plays music in the corner, but frankly I could care less. Nobody would ever want to dance with me, except maybe Gale Hawthorne, and there is absolutely no way that is happening. I swear he stalks me.

I pull my phone out of my bag and start texting Johanna;

Me: Hey gurl 😂

JMason: How ya doing?

Me: Just at another one of those parties...

JMason: Nice going girl ttyl I gtg... Sowwy

I slightly frown at my phone. Oh well. I look up to see Gale straight in front of my face. Inwardly, I am sighing, but I keep on a happy face, because my mother always finds out. And if I frowned at Gale she would probably kill me.

"Hey Gale," I say.

"Let's go for a walk shall we?"

I sigh, but I know I have no other options. I let the image of happy dancing couples leave my eyes as I walk out into the gardens with Gale.

"Beautiful night, huh? Like you." he says.

Don't ask me why, but that comment makes my skin crawl. I really hate Gale for what he did to me. Yeah, I "forgave" him so my mother wouldn't kill me, but not really. My nature does not allow me to forgive people easily, and Gale is one of those people I just can't forgive. I mean, if Prim did something to me, she wouldn't be hard to forgive, but guys; that's a different story.

"So," he says, "I think we already know each other pretty well, so lets not waste much time on this. Will you go on a date with me on Friday night?"

(A. N. Don't you just love the mini cliffhanger? Mwahahahaha)

---

Authors Note:

The bomb has dropped... And yes I finally finished this chapter. I'm sorry this took so long to post, but I actually do have an excuse... I was at camp for a week, and then my family is visiting us right now, so it's really hard to write unless I want to stay up really late. And I would, because I love writing, but I'm so tired that my writing isn't any good anyways.

So sorry guys, and I hope you enjoy my first very crappy chapter!

1004 words and counting...

Thanks for reading!

-HG_Fangirl10101