Chapter 9: Katniss

Katniss POV
"Oh," I reply meekly.

Peeta leans down to give me a light hug. Every bit of the dream comes flooding back, including Peeta's death. His end, or Johanna's was not pretty.

"You died," I say quietly, "Your heart stopped."

"It's okay, it's working now." He laughs lightly.

I pull him into a hug, grateful he came. It's a pretty good way to wake up.

"How did you even get in?" I ask.

"You left the window open..." His voice trails off.

"Woops..." I reply in the same manner Peeta did before me. "What time is it?" I groan loudly.

"3AM."

"Go away, I wanna sleep." I swat the air, making a silly noise while I'm at it.

"You want me to go away?" He asks in a fake mocking tone.

"Yup." I try to keep a straight face, but end up laughing anyways. Peeta smiles lightly before heading towards my bathroom.

My door creaks loudly. What is it with every door and window in my room needing oiling? I really need to get some hinge stuff. It's my mother, Leanna.

(A. N. I might have named her mom something else but ignore that, I like this name much better.)

My eyes bug, and I put one finger to my lips. I stare directly at Peeta before flicking my hand in a shooing motion towards him. He seems to understand, and ducks behind my bathroom door.

"Hey mom!" I laugh as brightly as I can in my sleepy voice.

She doesn't seem at all fooled by me. She makes her way over to my side. "Who were you talking to, Katniss?"

The last part comes out a snarl. "I- was talking to myself." I giant yawn cracks my jaw.

She goes into explosive mode again. "LIAR!" She yelps, leaping towards me.

She full force body slams me, then sends several body jolting kicks at me. In the midst of all this I make eye contact with Peeta, sending a clear message to stay silent.

But I should have known better. He's too caring of a guy to stay out of this. He explodes out of my bathroom yelling at my mother to stop.

"Get out!" I yelp, more out of concern for his safety.

My mother sends a hard slap at his face, which he promptly dodges and rolls under her arm. He ends up behind her back, both of her arms pinned. My jaw drops in awe as I watch him. I never could have done that.

"Get off me!" She snarls, "I know your secret!"

In his moment of confusion, he drops his grip a tiny bit. She takes full advantage and twists free, elbowing his cheek hard. That's going to leave a bruise. Peeta cups his cheek, though I get the sense he's somehow used to it.

She points a single finger at Peeta. "You're Peeta Hunter Mellark. Your mother killed my firstborn. Your entire family is contaminated BY YOUR MOTHER!!! I HATE YOU SO MUCH YOU F*CKING B*TCH!" She screams so loud I feel as if I've gone deaf in my left ear, while a fluid flows out of it slowly.

Peeta backs down a bit. While he's moving, she leaps at his throat, pinning him in a chokehold.

"No!" I scream, sliding towards them. Peeta holds his own. They wrestle around on my bedroom floor breaking several things. The bad part is though, my mother used to be in the military, before she became who she is now. So she's incredibly strong, and could break your arm in one twist if she wanted to.

I get the sense she only wants to hurt Peeta badly, so he doesn't come here again. That's probably a good thing. I always seem to get everyone who has met my mother hurt in some way. It's better if he goes.

I dive on top of them hoping to stop them. Surprisingly, it works. They both freeze instantaneously.

Before I can get in a word, my mother tells Peeta to leave. With a reluctant face he does, and I give him a small hug, despite my mother's nasty look.

It's going to be the last, I try to convince myself, no matter how hard it's going to be. For his protection.

With that, I wave what will be my final goodbye, and show him out the front door. Then I turn back to my room, to maybe get some sleep before school the next morning, after facing my mother tonight.

---
Author's Note:
Short chapter, I know, but I felt hat was a good spot to end it. Thanks for reading! I hope y'all had a good day!

781 words and counting...

--HG_Fangirl10101