Chapter 2: Katniss

"So," Gale says, "I think we already know each other pretty well, so lets not waste much time on this. Will you go on a date with me on Friday night?"

It takes everything I have in me not to scream out no! But I know I have to, so I put on a sweet smile, and manage to squeak out, "Uh, uh- yes?"

He smiles, and walks back into the room full of dancing couples. Once his back is turned, I let out a low sob. Why did I agree to this? I might of been able to face the consequences at home better...

"Are you okay?" a voice asks. I look up with startled motion.

It's a guy. He's wearing a black tux with a soft orange bow tie. His ashy blonde hair is messy, and I have to say, he looks pretty hot.

"Um yeah, I'm fine," I blush.

"Sorry to bother you, I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"No, it fine," I reply.

I didn't know a guy could sound that caring. his voice was surprisingly soft. The guy turns to leave and I say, "You can stay."

"Always," he laughs, accompanied by a smirk.

I have to say, he's funny in a sarcastic way. I've heard that line in old comedy movies and such, but never to me.

"What's your name?" He asks suddenly.

"Katniss Everdeen. Yours?" I say

"Peeta Mellark."

I swear I've heard that name before. Peeta Mellark. Hmmm...

Oh! My family's rival for generations!

But how can we be rivals? He seems so nice!

It's just a first impression Katniss, he could be a serial killer!

He can't be a serial killer, come on!

I argue back and forth with the voices in my head, before saying, "Peeta Mellark, as in my family's nemesis?"

"Yep, that's me," he says, popping the p.

"Just out of curiosity, why are you here?" I ask witha hint of suspicion. I can't help that tone creeping into my voice, that's the way I'm hardwired.

"Same thing as you, I came for the party."

"Oh." I say.

An awkward silence follows my words. I don't know what to say, I've never been good at this kind of thing. "What's your favorite color?" I finally ask. I feel like face-palming myself. That is the stupidest icebreaker question ever Katniss! I scold myself.

"It's not that stupid of a question you didn't know what to ask," he says softly, "And by the way, orange."

"Wait I said that out loud!"

Peeta laughs, but not in a mean way. "What's yours?"

"Green, kind of like the forest," I say softly.

Out of the randomness of my brain, I decide to ask the question that could make him hate me. And could get me killed, for that matter.

"Can we be friends?"

"Yes of course."

I let a smile play on my lips I the moonlight. We sit there in silence, but it no longer feels awkward. It feels, almost pleasant. I pat the spot on the swing next to me and he sits down beside me. I lean up against him, for a bit of warmth, as the air is a bit chilly, and I have a strapless dress on.

Suddenly, he gets up from the swing and bows. "May I have this dance?" he asks.

My eyes light up and fall. "I don't know how to dance..." I stammer.

"That's fine," he says.

Peeta picks me up and we begin slowly twirling around the garden. I've never danced before, but this feels pretty nice.

"Wait a second," Peeta says before pulling out his phone. After a few taps, light music is filling my ears. I smile. I've only known him for an hour, and I think I'm falling in love. His soft and sweet nature, the way he respects me, unlike Gale, everything about him.

While we dance, we chitchat about the party and such. Soon, the music shuts off, and Peeta pulls his phone out of his suit pocket to find out why. It turns out that his phone is dead. He frowns.

"Peeta it's fine we don't need music." I say with a smile. 

"Okay Peeta," I says, "I think we should say goodbye here so no one sees us, and the party's almost over anyways. Plus, Gale might murder me for being with 'cause he thinks that we're already together."

"Wait who's Gale?"

"Trust me, you do not want to know."

---

Authors Note:

Thank you for thirty reads already, wow! I feel honored. Really it feels like a small number, thirty people is actually a lot of people if you think about it!

Some of you may have noticed, but I deleted In Your Arms. I didn't feel like it was going anywhere, and I definitely learned I can't handle that. Instead, I may start a HG High or one where they're all in college. Please comment, HG High or HG College.

833 words and counting...

Thanks for reading!

-HG_Fangirl10101

---