Chapter 5: Peeta

Peeta POV

I can hear everything around me, but I'm trapped in my own body. I can't move or open my eyes, but I am ultimately aware of everything.

---

The door creaks open. I still don't know how I got here, but I've figured out that I'm in a hospital from the comments I've heard from the nurses. A light footstep comes into the room, nearly impossible to hear.

"Peeta?"

I want to answer badly, but I can't seem to shake my form to life. What do I do? I need to repond.

"Come on, wake up."

I can't!

"Peeta, it's Katniss, I'm so sorry!"

Sorry for what?

I feel a light form move onto my chest, then moving something around on my face. I think it's her hand, but I'm not sure. It feels nice though. I know I'm in a hospital bed from the stark stiffness of the bleached sheets. She settles beside me, and I somewhat wish that I had asked her to be my girlfriend, but I know I have some self -control, I haven't known her that long.

Mentally, I try to scoot my arm over to put it around her shoulders, I think a decent gesture as a friend, even though I'm the one seemingly causing her this pain. She moves her head to the crook of my neck, her hair tickling me. I try to laugh, let the emotions and words out of me, but still nothing. I can't move. I wonder if this is what paralysis feels like?

Suddenly, that thought strikes me. What if I am paralyzed or something? Was that why Katniss was saying sorry? Even though there are other reasons I don't want to paralyzed, I'm pretty sure Katniss won't want to be with a paralyzed guy. But if I am, I'll never be able to bake again, or decorate my cakes, and I'm pretty sure my mother will throw me out of the house. She never liked me anyways.

Before I know anything more, I feel a drop of water on my chest, I'm guessing a tear. She brushes her lips over mine, and I finally feel life inside of me. She has no idea the effect she can have on me. I let my eyes flutter open, and I weakly try to kiss her back. It's kind of a slobbery kiss, between her snot and tears and all, but I couldn't care less.

"Katniss?" I ask, pulling away. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

A smile comes over her face.

"Yes."

---

We sit there for a little bit, and she informs me of a few things, like how I actually got here, and what Gale did. My body still hurts, and my head is pounding by the end of the conversation, but I can't say I regret taking on Gale. Yes, it was stupid, but I have absolutely no regrets. Nada.

"Peeta?" she says.

"Yeah."

"I need to go, I'm sorry, my mom will kill-" she drops her sentence with a hand over her mouth.

I follow her straight to her eyes. They're a beautiful shade of grey.

"Kill what?"

"Oh, nothing!" she giggles, but it sounds incredibly fake. She's a horrible liar. And she doesn't seem like the giggly type.

I keep staring into her eyes.

"I'll tell you some other time." she admits after a bit.

I decide that this is probably the best answer I'm going to get, and drop my gaze.

"Good-bye Katniss."

"Bye Peeta," she says, and the door clicks shut, leaving me alone in the white room.

---

Katniss POV

I immediately feel bad the second I leave his room. I don't really want to leave him, but I don't really have any options. I can't get myself killed by my mother, that won't help things any. I can't shake the feeling that he likes me, but I don't want to get my hopes up. If he doesn't, I don't want to get all broken-hearted like I did after Marcus dumped me. My mother, Anastasia, didn't approve of him like Gale, but she didn't hate him either. But I, on the other hand was head over heels for him, and he obviously didn't feel the same.

"Peeta is different guy," I remind myself.

I'm going to go for Peeta, be friends, well, girlfriend/boyfriend, but I still don't know if he truly likes me. I really think so though.

To stop myself from thinking, I turn up my radio to full blast, successfully blaring out my thinking. The song Take Your Time comes on, a good reminder about Peeta. I actually really like this song. I allow myself a smile and keep driving.

I don't know if you were looking at me or not,
You probably smile like that all the time,
And I don't mean to bother you but,
I couldn't just walk by,
And not say hi

And I know your name
'Cause everybody in here knows your name,
And you're not looking for anything right now,
So I don't wanna come one strong,
But don't get me wrong,
Your eyes, they're so intimidating,
My heart is pounding, but its just a conversation,
No girl I'm not gonna waste it,
You don't know me,
I don't know you, but I want to.

And I don't wanna steal your freedom,
I don't wanna change your mind,
I don't have to make you love me,
I just want to take your time.

I don't wanna wreck your Friday,
I ain't gonna waste my lines,
I don't have to take your heart,
I just wanna take your time.

And I know it starts with hello,
An the next thing I know you're trying to be nice,
And some guy's getting to close,
Trying to pick you up,
Trying to get you drunk.

And I'm sure one of your friends is about to come over here,
'Cause she's supposed to save you from random guys,
That talk too much and wanna stay too long,
It's the same old song and dance but I think you know it well.

You could have rolled your eyes,
Told me to go to hell,
Could have walked away,
But you're still here,
And I'm still here,
Come on, let's see where it goes.

I don't wanna steal your freedom,
I don't wanna change your mind,
I don't have to make you love me,
I just wanna take your time.

I don't have to meet your mother,
We don't have to cross that line,
I don't wanna steal your covers,
I just wanna take your time.

Woah, I don't wanna go home with you,
Woah, I just wanna be alone with you.

I don't wanna steal your freedom,
I don't wanna change your mind,
I don't have to make you love me,
I just wanna take your time.

And I don't wanna blow your phone up,
I just wanna blow your mind,
I don't have to take your heart,
I just wanna take your time.

No, I ain't gonna call you baby,
And I ain't gonna call you mine,
I don't have to take your heart,
I just want to take your time.

The final note sounds, and the sound shuts off. Something about that voice sounded vaguely familiar. I check the artist info, and my jaw drops. Take Your Time, by Peeta Mellark. I didn't even know he sang. I've heard the song a million times, and never knew. Never.

---

Author's Note:

I love that song, but it is by Sam Hunt, not Peeta... :( I wish it was by Peeta though. So we're starting to get a bit more of Everlark, plus Katniss opened her mouth a bit too much about her mom...

Hope you guys liked it!

1247 words and counting...

-HG_Fangirl10101