Chapter 4: Katniss

Katniss POV

I've been sitting out side Peeta's room for over an hour now. Inside the small window I can see a few nurses bustling around with a bunch of tubes, and I think they took X-Rays or something. Why why why? I need Gale to stop following me around, and in general being Gale. Plus, my mother sent me a reminder text she wanted at least three kisses from him tonight. Speaking of, I know I need to get back to my home before my mother suspects something.

I leave a paper for Peeta under the door, with instructions to whatever nurse or doctor finds it to give it to him when he wakes up. And just like that, I take my purse, and run back to the Hawthorne's house as fast I can. But even running like that, it takes me a good twenty minutes, and it's close to 2am. I rush into the nearest bathroom, hastily straightening my hair and wiping the sweat off my face with paper towel so that I look presentable.

The whole "looking nice" thing, it's mainly so my mother doesn't suspect something, but I already know that I'm in trouble. I never stay at these parties until past 2AM. Ever. And if she can't get the info out of me, she'll pry it out of Daniel.

Daniel is one of the few people kind to me, besides our butler Cinna, who looks after me like my father used to. My daddy died of a brain tumor when I was seven, and my mother has been strange and abusive ever since. Supposedly, she was under stress and would get over it, but I don't see this going away. If anything, it's gotten worse. And I have a patchwork of scars all over my body to prove it.

I finger my curls before jumping into the limo.

"Drive fast, please Daniel?" I beg him.

"Will do," comes his accented reply, and we're already moving down the street.

---

From my first step in doorway to her glare, I know there's going to be trouble. Her icy eyes seem to pierce right through me right down to my deepest secrets.

"Where. Were. You." she asks through clenched teeth. Her eyes blaze like wildfire.

"I was- um- at the party, with Gale?" The last part comes out as a question. I'm a horrible liar, always have been, always will be.

"LIAR!!!" she explodes. She whips her hand straight across my face.

I try to stand straight, but the impact sends me flying to the floor, where I am met by her sharp heeled shoes into my ribs, multiple times. I can see Cinna out of the corner of my eye, but this is a priority to get to bed tonight alive.

"I'll try to love Gale more." I mutter.

"What did you say?"

"I'll try to love Gale more." I say, clearer this time.

"We'll see. I want video footage of you making out with him." she says coldly before stalking out of the living room, where droplets of my blood have landed on the clear carpet.

Cinna rushes over to help me up. "You okay?"

I grunt in response.

"I'll take that as a no." He replies in a low voice.

---

(Dream)

I'm happy finally. I'm wearing a strapless white lacy dress, with a long train. Orange colored glitter reflects of the sunset on my dress, and I have a bouquet of orange tulips in my hand. A smile adorns my face. It's my wedding. And it's to Peeta.

I'm making my way up to the altar, with Prim tossing orange petals in front of me. Peeta is beaming. We're just about to say our vows when Gale comes to the front, hunting knife in hand.

"Gale, what are you doing?" I ask.

"I told you I was the better option. I have more money, and I love you so much more. But you didn't listen, and you went with that stupid baker's boy. Now I'm here to crash your wedding." he says, driving the knife straight into Peeta's chest.

"NO!" I yell, trying to get between Gale and Peeta. Peeta is gasping for air, lying on the ground. Gale's got a hand on me, so I can't reach him.

"Peeta!" I yelp. He's writhing on the ground, shaking. I know he's not going to make it. He's shaking, which means Gale punctured a lung somehow.

Then to top it all off, Gale plants a big kiss straight on my lips.

---

I wake up rather sore- a feeling I'm used to, and recall my dreams of last night. My clock reads 5AM, meaning if I'm fast, I can sneak in a check on Peeta. I just know I better be back by seven, or else. I open my closet and grab dark skinny jeans, a grey tee, and a cream colored cardigan. I pull my chocolate hair into a messy bun, scrub my teeth, and slip down the stairs.

My car is a Hybrid, so it starts noiselessly. By 5:30ish I've gotten myself to the reception desk.

"Peeta Mellark." I say.

"He's not accepting visitors right now," the woman answers in a calm tone, "Are you direct family?"

"Uh, I'm his friend." I want to lie badly, but she looks like the suspicious type, so I decide against it.

"Then you may see him from the outside of the room, but you may not go inside."

"Okay," I answer, not feeling like arguing.

---

The glass separating us is too thick. I've known him for less than twenty-four hours, but he has absoulutely no idea just how much he means to me already. I need him. My phone says that it's six. Scanning the halls, I see no one. The door isn't locked, and I slip inside.

The heartrate monitor is a steady rhythm, and so is the IV dripping fluid. I pass a clipboard which has notes such as "patient internal injuries" in messy doctor scrawl. What did Gale do to him?

I plop myself down on the edge of the bed, moving my hand towards his face. I trace the outlines of his with my fingers, feeling the light stubble on his jaw. I lean down to him, planting my lips on his cold, chapped ones.

A slight feeling of electricity and warmth fills me. Even though he's not kissing back, it's still Peeta. And I do love him, but I feel so much satisfaction in rebelling against my mother. Then, his form comes to, stirring, and his lips come to life.

---

I think this is probably the most boring and crappiest chapter in this book so far... I don't know, you guys seem to disagree, but personally, I think its bad. Constructive criticism is welcomed, I need to improve my skills as a writer.

I'm writing a short story on what would happen if I was in the Games, it may turn out, I'm not sure. If it's decent, I'll post it.

How do I deserve 125 reads guys? Thank you so much!

1183 words and counting...

-HG_Fangirl10101