Chapter 3: Both

Peeta POV

"Trust me you do not want to know."

I smile and give a small nod, but deep down, I actually do want to know. "Well, I'll see you around." I say.

"Yeah I'll try to text you later."

I don't know how it happens, we just met each other, but we end up in a close kiss. Its slow and passionate, and so perfect, something I've never felt with someone else. Maybe this is what they call love at first sight.

---

Later, I'm about to get back in my car when I see Katniss and a tall guy who must be Gale. He towers over her small frame, and has her roughly pinned against a wall. I don't do anything yet, Katniss would have wanted me to.

Instead I lean up against my Camaro and watch from my vantage point. Katniss is struggling a bit, and trying to twist her head. I let it go on for a few more seconds, but when he starts really eating her face and I see blood trickling down Katniss's chin, I loose it. Also, he was squeezing her butt, and its pretty obvious she doesn't want that. Plus I think I know where this is going.

"Get off of her!" I snarl.

He whips around, but keeping Katniss in place behind him. He has to be almost 6'4, and he towers over both of us.

"Why should I, bread boy?" He laughs.

Katniss has her face around his side and is almost invisibly shaking her head. She is mouthing something I can't make out, but I have a good idea that she's trying to say no.

"Because you'll regret it if you don't." I reply. Probably not I great idea to pick a fight with a guy who's so much bigger than me, but I feel protective of Katniss, and mentally, I have to do this. Besides, I've done wrestling at school.

"Is that a threat?" He laughs before swinging the first punch, which makes me see stars. When the second one crashes into my skull, my knees buckle under me. It's way too much work to stand.

As my vision begins to cloud over, I see Gale jogging away from Katniss and I.
"Good," I think.

"Peeta, you have to stay with me." she says.

"Always," I manage to croak out before the blackness pulls me under.

---

Katniss POV

I carefully make my way down the steps towards the car waiting for me to take me home. I check my phone quickly to make sure the text I sent to Peeta went through. Then, out of the corner of my eye I see a tall figure striding towards me. There is only one person in Panem that is that tall. It's Gale.

He slams me against the wall before roughly pressing his face against mine. He has way to much cologne on. I try to loosen myself from his grip, but its no use. He has his arms against my sides, and they are slowly sliding down. I feel them on my butt. I don't want them there. I freaking hate Gale! Why is he doing this?

He bites down hard on my lower lip then swipes down over my mouth, trying to force his tongue in. I press my lips together as hard as I can, and I can feel something trickling down my chin. Its got to be either his saliva, or my blood.

He's starting to squeeze my butt again when a voice yells, "Get off of her!"It's Peeta.

"Why should I, bread boy?" I can feel Gale's mood swing upward. This is not going to end well, I can feel it. Suddenly, I'm really scared for Peeta. With a barely visible motion, I shake my head and mouth don't.

Peeta's voice comes back with a mountain of confidence. "Because you'll regret it if you don't."

"Is that a threat?" Gale snarls, and swings his arm in an arc making contact with Peeta straight in the gut.

"NO!" I yell out. Peeta's knees crumple, and Gale brings a second punch around, this time hitting Peeta in the head.

His eyes roll back in his head, he falls all the way to the ground. Gale laughs evilly before jogging off into the shadows. If Peeta wasn't laying on the ground, I might of chased him.

"Peeta, you have to stay with me," I say.

"Always," he croaks before his eyes close.

"Peeta!" I yell at him. "Don't close your eyes!" I whip my phone out of my bag. With my hands shaking, I punch in the numbers. I've never called 911 before. Ever.

My phone rings twice, and the operator picks up. "Hello, what is your emergency?"

"I- uh- my friend got beaten up pretty bad at a party, and he's passed out..." my voice trails off.

"Okay," he says, "Please remain on the line, may I ask your location?"

"I'm on the front lawn of the Hawthorne's home, uh, off to the side by the garden entrance. And it's on Pasadena Drive, District 12, Panem.

"We should be there in less than a minute," he says, "You may hang up now."

I stroke a strand of Peeta's hair away from his face and lean down to give him a kiss. I hear a familiar whine of siren wailing all the way up the street. Good.

"You have to stay with me Peeta." I breathe.

---

Third Person View

They all start to pop out of an ambulance, pulling a stretcher in between two of them. But when they see the size of Peeta, the stretcher is exchanged for a gurney. Peeta isn't overweight or anything but he's very bulky and strong. They get him all loaded on it and strapped in before hurriedly rolling it up the ramp. They are just starting to close the doors when Katniss leaps in.

"I'm coming!" she snaps.

The look on most of the doctors is instantaneous. Shock. Happiness. Admiration. Scowls for some of them. Smirks. Love even. But not a single one of them says a word. There really was no reason for their reaction, but it seems as if they didn't realize she was the one who called 911. After a final glimpse of their faces, the doors slam shut.

---

Katniss POV

I'm getting a little nervous here. All of these ambulance people are bustling around, hooking Peeta up to all these regulators. He's already got an oxygen mask and IV in/on. I've been in an ambulance before, and they definitely didn't do that for me. And all this time, I'm watching Peeta's body color get paler and paler. His chest is moving slower than it was earlier today.

Little questions begin to form in my head as the ambulance moves on, sirens wailing. Peeta's eyelids are shut, and besides the paleness of his face, he looks to be peacefully asleep. Oh, and I forgot to mention the giant bruise already forming over his eye. Even though I only met him today, I feel close to him in a way. There was this tingling feeling in the pit of my stomach when I was sitting next to him. I've never felt this before, but I think it might be love.

---

Authors Note:

I know it's crappy, but out of everything in this story so far, I'm pretty proud of it. And you guys got an update within a week, so yay for you guys. Nobody commented on if they wanted a new HG High story or a Everlark college story, so I made the decision myself, it will be an HG High with maybe a second book with college or something. Honestly though, no comments are understood, I'm a very new writer, so even getting sixty reads within a week and a half of the start of this book is amazing!

Also, you guys got a much longer chapter than normal... I got my braces on today, my mouth is so freaking sore! Sorry for complaining, I just had to get that out...

I started school... Ugh. I found this back to school edit of Jen, and OMG! I was crying!

Enough of this, this is the longest A.N. I've ever written!

1369 words and counting...

-HG_Fangirl10101