Chapter 7: Peeta

Peeta POV
I scroll through my lists of contacts until I find the newly labeled one for Katniss. I flick my finger to the text button.

Peeta_Mellark: How r u doing? You kind of left in a hurry this morning...

Kitty_Kat: Yeah I had to get something done for my mom. Wbu?

I kind of feel that she has a mother like mine, over reacting, abusive, unwanting, did I mention evil? She had a few strange bruises on her arms this morning, I didn't say anything, by I still notice things like this. I have them too.

Peeta_Mellark: Yeah I'm good, checked myself out o/ the hospital.

Kitty_Kat: You did wha?

Peeta_Mellark: Went home to a nice comfy house...

Kitty_Kat: OMG

Kitty_Kat: You seriously checked yourself out of the hospital and went home? I'm coming over 😂

Peeta_Mellark: okay...

Kitty_Kat: What's your address?

I let out a low laugh at her reaction. She definitely is a little reactive, but I can't say I'm not glad she's going to come over. My house is quiet and foreboding, so normally I blast my music to rid the silence.

Peeta_Mellark: 451 N Van Ness District 12, Panem 32781

Kitty_Kat: Ummm...

Peeta_Mellark: Whattt?

Kitty_Kat: I'm 453.

Peeta_Mellark: Huh?

Kitty_Kat: Look out your front door and left

I'm getting up to do what she says when everything clicks. 453. She lives next door, in one of the mansion like houses. It's just the owners aren't so nice.

I peer out the glass for a second before flipping over the lock on my front door. I open the door slowly, not knowing quite what to expect. Katniss is standing outside my front door. She wears a black and white striped top with denim skinny jeans. Her hair is dark brown with a light curl at the tips. She's so freaking beautiful.

"Hey," she says softly, walking up closer to my house.

I close the distance, meeting her halfway with a welcoming hug. I bury my face in her hair inhaling the sweet scent. We both pull away, but with a bit of lingering. I could have stood there for the rest of the day, but I would rather go inside, and I sense the same from her.

Hand in hand, we make our way to my front door. My house isn't very big, especially compared to hers, but I live alone. So I really wouldn't need the space anyways. I lead her towards my living room area, patting the seat beside me on the couch.

"How come you never told me that you sing?" she says, again in that beautiful soft voice.

"It never really came up I guess, and besides, I haven't known you very long." I answer.

"Ugh don't remind me. I feel like we've known each other so much longer than we actually have." she says.

"Two days," I say with a laugh, "Okay, so how this whole friends thing works is we have to tell each other the deep stuff."

"The deep stuff?" Katniss replies, raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah, like what's your favorite color?"

"Oh, no you've crossed the line." she answers, keeping a perfectly straight face.

"Seriously though, what is it?" I ask.