Chapter 4:

Annabeth made it back home before dawn, which was lucky because her mother was due back home from a night drinking at the local bar in an hour. But unfortunately for her, Athena was already home.

"Where were you?" She demanded, as Annabeth trudged into the shop. Then she raised her hand and slapped Annabeth across the cheek.

Unflinching, Annabeth scowled and ran up the stairs into the apartment. She went into her room and threw the sack down on her pallet, before lying there as well. Her cheek stung, but Annabeth didn't care. She was too busy remembering how the boy had caught her, and the exact colour of his sea green eyes.

•••

The second ball was a week away. You may be wondering why there were these balls, so I shall tell you. Percy's parents wanted him to be happy, so they decided that he should try to find a spouse. Percy didn't want to 'settle down', he wanted to adventure into other kingdoms and explore the world, but his parents had other ideas.

"Son." Percy's father, Poseidon started. "We need to talk."

Percy glared at his father. "I don't want to talk, dad!"

"I'm sorry, Percy, but it's urgent. We've only just received--"

"Please, just go away, father!" Percy cried, annoyed.

Suddenly, the door to his room swung open, and standing there was two people, Percy's mother Sally and another girl with dark, wavy hair and blue eyes. "She's here." Sally told them, then walked away.

"Who's here?" Percy asked, confused.
"Percy." Poseidon sighed. "We've decided that you need to settle down. Many girls are coming to the ball on Friday, but we would like you to take an interest in this young lady." Then he walked out, closing the door behind him.

As soon as the door shut, the girl walked up to Percy. She was wearing a gorgeous blue dress that flowed down to the ground in swirls of colour. "Hello." She smirked, showing off perfect white teeth. Then she grabbed Percy's arm and pulled him to face her. "I'm Penelope."

"Um, hello Penelope." Percy smiled awkwardly. "I'm--"

Penelope laughed, her voice as smooth as running water. "I already who you are. Or do I?" Then she grabbed his hand and swung away from him, then swung back like this was some sort of dance. She fell onto his chest, and Percy felt his face burning. Who exactly was this girl?

Suddenly, he felt something. Kind of like a spark, except brighter. He didn't want to settle down, so why should he? A plan formulated in his mind. It wasn't that he didn't like Penelope, he just wasn't sure if he was ready enough to find a spouse. And just like that--he knew he was going to become a runaway.