Chapter 18:

Annabeth was confused. Who were Damien and Kenzie? But her question was answered as her, Percy and Leo arrived at a small house near the castle walls. Out on the front porch sat a young boy around seven or eight and a girl who looked at least four. They were playing with some wooden blocks, a couple in their early thirties sitting in chairs watching them.

When Annabeth, Leo and Percy walked up the stairs, the woman leaped to her feet. Her multi coloured eyes dazzled in the sunlight and she had choppy brown hair that was clumsily braided down her back with feathers. "Annabeth!" She cried, and Annabeth was crushed by the impact of her cousin and friend. "Oh, it's been so long!"

"Hey Piper." Annabeth smiled. Piper's husband Jason was hugging her next. Jason was tall and ruggedly handsome. He had blonde hair and bright blue eyes.

"Annabeth!" He cried, then noticed Percy standing next to Leo. In a flash, he had a sword in his hand and it was at Percy's neck. "You!" He cried.

"Jason, stop!" Piper yelled, grabbing Jason's arm and pulling him away from Percy whose polite expression had turned to cold anger. He had his hand already in his bag and was pulling out his sword. Jason had heard him and pushed Piper away before advancing.

Percy tossed the bag to the ground as Jason swung his sword. The breath in Annabeth's throat had been sucked up as she stood there, paralysed and watching the two boys fight with such speed and agility that it seemed almost impossible to follow.

Every blow Jason struck, Percy blocked. Percy looked like it was game and he was smirking. Then with just a simple feint and a quick flick of his sword, Jason was disarmed. "You cannot fight me." Percy growled, pressing the tip of his sword to Jason's neck. "I have won, and all I ask for is that you don't do that again until you tell me why."

Jason suddenly collapsed onto the ground. He gasped as though he couldn't breathe and clutched his throat. Piper screamed, and Kenzie started crying. Annabeth ran and scooped her up, then took her inside, along with Damien who ran behind them. She put them in the lounge room and pulled out some more wooden blocks they could play with, then ran back outside where Percy and Piper were attempting to pick up Jason. Leo was just standing to the side, his face pale with horror.

"Leo!" Piper screamed at him. "Fetch Calypso and tell her to bring some of her special stew!"

Leo shakily saluted to her and ran off, leaving a dust trail behind him.

Annabeth, Percy and Piper managed to haul Jason inside and laid him on his and Piper's bed. Luckily he was still breathing, but it was slow. His eyes were bloodshot and he looked like he'd seen a ghost.

After five minutes of waiting, in which Piper went to get her kids, Leo came running back, a girl following him. She had almond eyes and fair skin. Her petite figure reminded Annabeth of the nymphs she had heard stories about.
Calypso was holding a covered bowl. Immediately when she saw Jason, Calypso's eyes widened. Her hair was windswept from all the running, but she still managed to pull off a 'princess' look.

Annabeth watched as she quickly uncovered the bowl and started spoon-feeding Jason. There was absolute silence, until Jason coughed and everyone jumped.

"Sorry." He croaked, his voice cracking like ice. "I-I don't know what overcame me--" he was interrupted by Piper who launched herself at him.

"I'm just glad you're safe." She sobbed, holding onto him tightly.

When she pulled away, she turned to Annabeth. "Sorry for the interruption, you never said who he--" she indicated Percy "was."

"Oh, that's Percy." Annabeth replied, smiling as he put his arm around her shoulders. "My boyfriend."

Piper looked like someone had punched her in the stomach. "What." She said.

"My boyfriend." Annabeth repeated.
Piper sighed, and tutted. "Now, Annabeth. You know what Rachel--"

"Yes, now shut up." Annabeth said firmly.