Chapter 9:

Percy wanted to know where Annabeth was. Sure, he barely knew her, but he was curious. Curiosity may have killed the cat, but Percy needed to find out more. He didn't want to wait around.

It was five AM, but the morning sounds of the castle had already begun when Percy got out of bed and sneaked into the garden. He sat in his spot until the sun came up, and Penelope came out. She couldn't see where he was, which was perfect, because Percy wanted to study her a little.

Penelope walked across the little pond bridge, her white dress outlined in the morning sunlight. She had pulled back her dark hair into a knot on the top of her head and was wearing gold cuffs on her wrists. Her blue eyes sparkled and she looked like a princess ... minus the crown.

Percy could tell that she had the attitude and air of a stereotypical princess; she was elegant and beautiful, yet she lacked a unique touch. He could see her taking up a throne in a kingdom some day, but he wasn't sure if he would be the other ruler beside her.

Suddenly, another person appeared in the gardens. She looked mad -- extremely mad. Percy scrambled to get a better look at the girl as she came towards Percy's secret spot and pulled out large garden scissors. As she trimmed the hedges, Percy couldn't help but overhear what she was muttering about.

"Stupid Queen...stupid maid...stupid Prince...stupid knife...stupid castle...ugh!" She groaned. "That old hag! If she hadn't of taken my knife away I would've been far from this retched place! Probably visiting Piper and Jason ... I wonder how they're getting along..."

"Who are Piper and Jason?" Percy asked before he could stop himself. A gap in the hedges appeared and Annabeth's glowering face appeared.

Percy didn't feel surprised. It was obvious that she would be sentenced to maid duty, and just his luck he had stumbled upon her while she was in a bad mood. "And why would you want to know that?" She spat, her face red with anger.

"You were cursing my kingdom." Percy explained. Her face lost a bit of colour, but Annabeth's expression stayed the same.

"For your information, Piper is my cousin! Jason is her husband and the last I heard from them was eight years ago after they told me that they were going to try for a baby!"

"Oh." Was all Percy said.

"Now, may I ask what you're doing here?" Annabeth said, casting a final dark glare before returning to her task.

"I decided to go for a walk." Percy shrugged. "And, 'for your information' I was just coming here to see how you got along with my mother."

She cracked a smile, then quickly hid it. "Of course. Have your parents given up on Balls?"

"Nope." Percy sighed. "But at least the next one's scheduled for a few months. Are maids allowed to go?"

"I don't know." Annabeth sighed. "But if you don't find a girl to marry by the end of that Ball, then your parents will be mad." She looked strained, but she hid it well.

"I'll see you later then?" He asked.

"I'm back here tomorrow morning." She smiled. Percy felt his ears go red.

Then he stood up, stretched and wandered off back into the castle, completely oblivious to the other girl who had approached Annabeth from the shadows.