Chapter 11:

Penelope was steaming. Okay, not literally, but still, she was annoyed. That girl, Annabeth, was smarter than she looked. Penelope knew not to trust her and now her anger was reaching boiling point.

Just that morning, King Poseidon had told her that she would be marrying Percy, but after she'd heard what Percy had to say, Penelope wasn't so sure that the King was right. Well, almost. There was a tiny itching feeling in her stomach that was screaming at her to just tell Percy how she felt and then see if he loved her back, but she couldn't do that. It might screw up their entire relationship.

But... she smiled to herself. If she could just persuade Percy to be her friend... Yes, that will work. She thought, because after all, they were fighting for love.

•••

There was just one moment over the next month that Annabeth couldn't forget. Every morning, Percy would meet Annabeth in the garden whilst she was pruning the hedges and they would talk. They complained about the castle, having to work and of course, the upcoming ball.

Percy didn't want to go to it, but Annabeth felt like it was her responsibility to make him go. He was like a brother to her.

But the one moment she remembered so clearly that she could've described it in full detail to anyone, was the morning three weeks after their first chat. Percy had arrived later than usual, and Annabeth felt a bit agitated. She wasn't allowed to sleep in, but Percy was. She had to work, but Percy didn't. She wanted to have a day off once a week, yet Percy had everyday off.

But it came as a surprise as to why he was late.

"I have just spoken to Thalia." He said matter-of-factly. Thalia was the Head Maid, and she was a bit motherly towards Annabeth, like she gave her the best blankets for her cot and only gave her the easiest jobs. "And since you get a day off each month, I asked if you could have one off now."

Annabeth swore her heart skipped a beat. A day off? Possibly with Percy? In the village? What more could she have asked for?!

"What did she say?" Annabeth asked eagerly.

"Yes." Percy replied, then stumbled backwards as Annabeth launched herself into his arms for a bone-crushing hug.

"Yes!" She screamed.

"So I was thinking." Percy grinned as she finally let go. "That we could go to the markets."

Of course, after all those little chats together, Percy and Annabeth had bonded quite well and apart from Penelope, who occasionally was seen sulking nearby, nobody knew that they were friends. Friends. Annabeth liked that word. She hadn't had any friends in several years.

Off they went, abandoning the garden scissors to the ground as they ditched the castle grounds and made their way out into the village.

Annabeth wondered where her mother was and if she cared about Annabeth anymore, but she assured herself that even if she saw her mother, Athena wouldn't come near her. After all, Athena hated Annabeth.

Percy took her to the markets where they wandered around the stands, occasionally pointing at stuff that they liked. At lunchtime, they went into a small shop where Percy bought Annabeth a pie, which she enjoyed so much, Percy bought her another one.

But the best bit was near the end of the day when the market was just about to close. Percy had just bought her a stunning silvery ballgown, then had disappeared for five minutes, before coming back and dragging her away into a small alleyway where he made her turn around. He pushed her hair out of the way and then put a necklace around her neck.

Annabeth gasped. On the end of a short, golden chain hung a beautiful silver dolphin. "Oh God! Thank you so much!" She cried, then kissed his cheek and hugged him.

Percy smiled, and together they walked back to the castle, chatting and laughing as they forgot about their worries.

That night, Annabeth lay in her cot with a small smile on her face. And as she fell slowly to sleep, she imagined the sea green eyes that had peered into the darkness of the alleyway just hours before.