Chapter 21:

Several days later, while Jason, Piper, Percy, Annabeth, Damien and Kenzie were eating dinner, Leo burst into the house.

"King Poseidon - here - sent for me - knows Percy and Annabeth - demands to speak to them." He panted, then ran out the door again.

The effect was immediate. Percy pulled Annabeth to her feet and they raced down the stairs into the basement where Percy grabbed the bag full of supplies that he had been keeping for days just in case. They ran back up the stairs where Jason led them out the back door.

Jason knew the village like the back of his hand. He guided Percy and Annabeth through alleyways and winding streets until they arrived at a small door in the high, village wall.

"Go!" He told them, handing them a sack bulging with stuff. "If you keep heading into the trees then you should come across Grover's house. He'll--"

"Not so fast." A voice boomed. Percy whirled around to see palace guards circling them, his father standing in the middle.

Percy's stomach dropped.

"Now, son, we will do what I've been waiting for." King Poseidon had an evil glint in his eyes. "To execute you." Something slammed into the back of Percy's head and he was thrown into darkness.

•••

He woke up a day later chained to a wall. A thin stream of sunlight cut across part of the cell floor from the barred window across the room.

Percy tried to move his head, but was too tired. He slumped against the cool concrete wall and tried to steady his breathing, but it was no use.

Suddenly, the door banged open and a guard came in. He unlocked Percy's chains, but still handcuffed his hands and took Percy into an office. King Poseidon's office. Lying where the desk should have been was a casket, and as Percy peered into it, the guard unlocked the handcuffs.

Inside the coffin lay a body.
Percy gasped. "How?" Was all he managed to say.

"We rebelled." The guard said, as Percy continued to look at the face of King Poseidon. "Everyone was tired of the way he was ruling. We believe a better King or Queen was needed, so once Poseidon had left, the villagers and stormed the castle and killed everyone who was on his side. Then when he came back with you and the girl, we ambushed them. I had to chain you because I wasn't sure how you would react."

Percy didn't know whether to feel happy or sad. "So that means..."

"You're the King." The guard bowed.

"Is... is Annabeth okay?" Percy asked.

The guard suddenly looked at his feet. "She's alive, but the King's guards beat her up. She got a black eye and heaps of cuts and bruises. I can take you to her now, if you want?"

"Yes." Percy said.

They went through endless corridors until finally arriving at the small castle infirmary. Sitting up in one of the cots was Annabeth.

It was like a tidal wave of relief had swept through Percy. "Annabeth." He said.

There were massive scars covered over her body, but her face still cracked into a smile as he raced up to her. "Percy." Was all she said, but Percy didn't care. He hugged her and held on until she told him to let go, but even then he gave her a kiss.

"We're free." He murmured, once they had broken apart.

"I know." Annabeth replied, gazing into his eyes.