Chapter Fourteen

Everything is misunderstood. I have a sudden strange feeling that I'm eager to just understand. I thought I had a friend, I thought I could take care of my little sister and I thought my friends were good. I thought and thought but I was never right. I heard my phone ringing but I didn't move. I'm on my bed staring at the blank ceiling waiting for something I don't expect, someone I don't know or an explanation I don't want to hear. Probably I'm waiting for her to come or to whisper something into my ears again or to tell me about her next step. I just can't stay there not having any idea about what's going on, not knowing who is my enemy and what's even worse I don't know who is my friend.

    The phone is ringing over and over again and I know it's Zack. I don't know what mom meant yesterday. Is she just acting like the other mothers? Is she just trying to protect me from a heartbreak? If that's it, then there's nothing to worry about cause, even though Zack is handsome and any girl would do anything to be as close to him as I am, he is still acting nicely and he is really kind of mature!! But if she is acting like that for other reasons then I need to understand. 

      I've never really given myself a chance to stop and think about him, his age, his interests, his dream job and I don't even know what he studies. I don't know why he doesn't let me know about the books he has. Maybe he thinks having tons of books would make  him look like a nerd. Nonsense! that's not an excuse. Nerds and bookworms are actually awesome, they are intellectual, intelligent and they have unique points of view concerning everything in life. I never gave myself a split second to suspect him, maybe I rushed things, maybe I opened up too much for a stranger but somehow I feel like he's not!!

   I think this is the part when I have to carry on walking along the road alone, to collect the clues by myself, and to protect myself from a poisoned cake wrapped in nice wrappings. I think this investigation was never  meant to be for two people, it's only me who have to investigate.

  I received tons of messages from my friends, classmates and Zack. I have received stuff like "Exams r 3 weeks far away u need to catch up you've been absent for 3 days"  or "Why aren't you picking up"  and finally I saw a text from Becky "Is there anything wrong?"  Everything is wrong  I murmured to myself.

  The door bell rang, mom is out applying for a new job cause she doesn't want to stay at home anymore and dad is busy in his study so I moved my heavy body  towards the door, I walk limply and put my hand on my head as I feel so dizzy. That's normal for someone who hasn't eaten or slept well for days.

          "Won't you let me come in?" he said with a smile

        "Zack?!" I said not really surprised

I just opened the door a little wider and left. "That wasn't nice" I heard him murmuring to himself.

       Dad rushed to the door and greeted Zack like an old friend "I'm sorry but as Lily said, Ash is a little under the weather"  dad said with a nice tone, like he was afraid that Zack would get upset. I'm sorry? Sorry? What is that?  I think to myself.

"Ash" dad called. I was already going upstairs. "Why da hell did he call? why?"  I shouted under my breath. I came downstairs looking at dad and avoiding any eye contact with Zack. "I think Zack has got something to tell you" dad said smiling . "I think I really need to hear something from you both" I said looking mostly at dad and I saw his eyes trying to run away.

"I'm not really sure what you need to hear"  Zack said

"An explanation" I shouted but he didn't reply  so, I left and ran the stairs

I received a text from an unknown number again: "I think I can give you an explanation, Ashley  :) " and a lot of photos of Zack were sent and he was in a hospital???  Talking to patients and  doctors!!

The question is: If Zack is a psychologist (and I still can't believe it) then am I crazy??? Who killed Sasha Foster??!!