Difficult

A BIG (and heartfelt) thank you to all the readers who voted or commented on the last chapter: CJ_Callahan90 , Elf_and_an_agent , Tammyt70 ,Nyssa_Mirien , Helen_FaNgIrL_ , ShaeLeeSnow, KaraMartinez0 , Lotr_elves_tolkien , GG-Dreamer , niepoprawneslowa , rose5607 , princesswithashotgun , bre2333 , natalia_vegas , northern_nights , Havecouragebkind , @EreaneofMirkwood, The_Midnight_Fangirl !

I love you guys!

. . . . . . . .

November 2941, Third Age:

Narylfiel looked up from her mending- another hole in the knee of her leggings!- to see her sister enter the sitting room, her face streaked with tears.

She was up at once, putting her arm around Thaliniel, and guiding her to sit down.

"What? What has happened?"

But her sister could hardly form a single word without the tears threatening to overflow.

"Thranduil..." Her sister's voice trembled.

"Thranduil..." Narylfiel prompted.

"He's moving the army out at dawn. The dragon is dead, and he wants to lay claim to the treasure in the mountain," the older sister sniffed, taking the proffered scrap of fabric from her sister to wipe her eyes.

"Why the tears then?" Narylfiel asked, wondering why she had not heard of this herself. After all, she was part of the Forest Guard, and not to mention, friends with the king! He had not mentioned a word of this plan to her when she saw him last evening after dinner! She narrowed her eyes but then made herself pay attention. Thaliniel had stopped sniffling and tried to explain.

"Beriadan's called up all the infantry, all the archers- and Legolas will go with them. The king wouldn't go to the trouble unless...he thought there was a chance his claim would be contested...unless he thought there might be a fight."

Suddenly Narylfiel understood and it was at this moment that Legolas rushed in. "Oh, good you found your sister," he said, relieved. He had already changed into his armor, and he looked a far cry from the awkward prince who had shown up at her father's vineyard so many years ago. His years of service in the Forest Guard had hardened him into a warrior who had seen and delivered much of death and battle. His face was resolute, and his eyes were grave. "I'm leaving tonight with the forward group to scout," he told Narylfiel. "You're to stay here with the home guard."

Then the prince led his wife into the corner to tell her a few last words. Narylfiel suddenly pretended to be very interested in her mending again to give them some privacy. Out of the corner of her eye she watched as the prince pulled her sister in for a long, passionate kiss; she averted her eyes again. She wished, she wished she had someone feel for her a fraction of how much she knew Legolas loved her sister.