Poised

Four hundred years ago...

Not for the last time that evening, Thaliniel pulled her young sister to the side and straightened the bow on the sash of her new dress. It was a splendid dress, one from Prince Legolas himself, given to her on the occasion of coming to live with the royal family in King Thranduil's halls.

Naryfliel supposed she really did not have to call Legolas by his title any more. After all, he did marry her sister. That made him more like a brother. She had always wanted a brother—not that she would ever say so to Thaliniel!—but she was thrilled about the prospect of having unlimited access to Legolas. She already had plans to beg him to take her to the archery range, and to show her how to track through the forest, and to teach her how to throw knives, and maybe even to sword fight! Her sister Thaliniel didn't know how to do any of those things...

...but Prince Legolas knew. Narylfiel bet he was just a fount of information, of all sorts of interesting things. Things she would need to know to become a first-rate Forest Guard.

Narylfiel thought back to the night when she had first met the prince at her father's vineyard. Certainly, she had not always been so eager to meet his royal highness. It all began when Thaliniel had informed her that they would be sitting down for a formal dinner with a guest from the king's halls. At the time, Legolas had been posing as a courtier for the king.

Stuffy, to say the least. Not to mention, Narylfiel loathed formal dinners.

She sourly remembered Thaliniel dragging her into dinner that night. Just think: a formal dinner and a courtier from the king, sent to discuss trade ledgers? Deadly dull. Narylfiel had been less than enthused to make Legolas' acquaintance.

She may have even stuck her tongue out at him when she thought no one else at the table was looking.

Imagine her surprise when Legolas cheekily returned the gesture!

It was the beginning of what would become a beautiful friendship. Not long after, Prince Legolas married her sister, and now, well, now Narylfiel waited in the hall, in a starchy dress, to join a formal dinner with countless dull courtiers. It was one aspect of her new life in the Elvenking's halls that she did not look forward to.

In fact, Thaliniel had warned her that they would be joining the rest of the royal family at the high table, an honor reserved for family members and the king's most honored guests and friends. Her older sister reminded her for what was probably the twentieth, maybe even the thirtieth, time how important it was for Naryfliel to be on her best behavior.

No talking with her mouth full. Using her knife correctly. Not interrupting adults at the table. Eating everything on her plate. Having polished manners. Thaliniel called all of this stuff 'having poise.'

Not exactly her idea of a fun time.

But, on the other hand, she did have this lovely new dress to wear. With that happy thought in mind, Narylfiel followed her sister and the prince into the dining room. The high table was up at the front of the room, elevated by some sort of platform or dais, so the king might have the pleasure of observing his subjects as he dined. Thranduil was already seated, surrounded by a bevy of lords and ladies, all of whom looked like characters out of one her story books. But it was King Thranduil who caught her eye, Thranduil who gave her a small nod that gave her the confidence to take her seat among such elegant company. King Thranduil had poise.

Narylfiel did not realize she had been holding her breath until she sat down.

.   -   .  -  .  - .  -  .  -  .