Better

She had been in the palace now for a little over a month. The newness had already started to wear off after her sister's wedding. Frankly, Narylfiel felt a little homesick. Even with Thaliniel and Legolas right down the hall from her and the much admired King Thranduil down a few more doors, she felt lonely. She told herself that it was very silly to feel that way—the palace was abuzz with people every single day! She ate all her meals with the royal family, sometimes in the great dining hall, sometimes in the more secluded dining room in the royal wing of the palace, but still... everyone seemed so busy. Legolas and Thaliniel were busy planning a trip to Rivendell, and Thranduil was, well, busy being the king of the entire woodland realm.

So it was that on this particular evening, Narylfiel arrived at the family dining room early. She really hoped to talk to King Thranduil before the others arrived; he was usually early, she noticed, but on this particular night, he was nowhere in sight. Narylfiel drummed her fingers on the shiny dark wood of the table and waited...and waited. Her stomach growled, and she wondered if there would be some more of that lovely pudding from lunch.

Narylfiel heard the sound of light footsteps coming down the hall, and her stomach growled again. Finally, the others were coming, and dinner would be served!

Legolas appeared in the doorway. He looked rather relieved to have found her. "Narylfiel! We missed you at dinner. After the first course came out, your sister was worried, so I volunteered to find you."

"But it's the middle of the week," Narylfiel protested. "We always eat here on that day."

Legolas' face softened. "Oh, no. My father changed the plans, and no one thought to tell you? We had just finished the pudding, and—"

"I missed the pudding?" Narylfiel bit her lip, her stomach growling again. They had forgotten her. They had eaten all the pudding without her. She looked down at the bare table before her, and despite her best efforts, a solitary tear slipped out.

"I don't think I want to be here anymore, Legolas," she said in a small voice. "I want to go home."

"I am so sorry, Narylfiel," he said, coming over to her side, pulling out a chair to sit beside her. "I feel terrible that this happened, and I can only imagine how your sister will feel!" He put his arm around her; Narylfiel always liked it when he did that, just like she imagined an older brother might.

"It's not just that, Legolas," she said mournfully. "I like it here, but everything is so big, with so many people. I guess I just feel a little lost."

"I think I understand how you feel," he said, his voice quiet.

"You do?" she looked up at him with wet lashes. "But you have Thaliniel, and all sorts of friends, and your father..."

"I have those things now," Legolas confided, "but that hasn't always been the case. I grew up here too, Narylfiel. I know how easy it is to get lost in the shuffle at the palace."

She nodded just once and met his eyes. "I just think it might be better if I went back to the vineyard for a while."

"You can always go back home, Narylfiel," he assured her. "I'll take you any time you want to go...but I hope you'll consider staying most of the time here."

She leaned her head on his shoulder. "Thank you, Legolas. I will think about it."

He poked her in the ribs. "Besides," he whispered conspiratorially, "sometimes not being noticed has its advantages! Why, when I was your age, I could go anywhere in the palace, practically unseen. And you would be shocked at all the things you can hear, because no one thinks you're listening!"