Chapter 2 - A New Job

Her bright blue eyes stared at me with fear. Her bottom lip started to tremble. She raised her hands in surrender.

"P-Please don't kill m-me" she stuttered.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I promise"   I reassured.

"D-Do you have a group?" she asked.

"No, it's just me out here. Always has been" I answered.

"What's your name?" she asked.

"Allison Montgomery, but you can call me Ally" I said with a smile.

I stuck out my hand for her to shake, which she hesitantly did.

"My name is Makena Dixon, but you can call me Makena" she said, smiling.

"You're funny, I like you already" I laughed.

She laughed with me, not scared anymore. Her smile suddenly fell.

"Do you have any food?" She asked shyly.

"Yes, would you like some?" I asked.

"Yes please" she answered gratefully.

I reached behind me and pulled my backpack off. I unzipped it and grabbed a can of peaches.

"Do you like peaches?" I asked.

"Yes!" She said excitedly.

I chuckled and pulled out the knife from my boot and opened the can for her and handed it over.

"Thank you" she said before stuffing her face.

I smirked and grabbed a can of corn for myself. I opened it and started digging in.

When we finished, I built us a fire on the side of the road. Makena and I have been talking about our lives before the walkers.

"Did you have parents?" Makena asked.

"Yes, they were happily married for more than 25 years" I said.

"What happened to them?" She asked.

"They both died in a car accident when I was 22. They were hit by a drunk driver, killed instantly." I replied, sniffing and wiping away a tear threatening to release. I never really liked thinking about my parents death because it was a touchy subject.

"I'm sorry" she said regretfully.

"It's not your fault. So what about your parents?" I asked changing the subject.

"Well, I never knew my dad. He had a one night stand with my mom. So he never knew I even existed. And my mom died when all this started." She said, with a single tear running down her cheek.

"I'm so sorry you had to witness that" I said, putting an arm around her shoulder in hopes to comfort her.

She sniffed, and wiped the tear.

"Me too. My mom said that my dad had two other kids, but I don't know their names. I just know they're a lot older than me." She said.

"Let's switch the subject" I said, trying to lighten the mood.

"Ok. What did you do before the world went to shit?" She asked.

I gave her a disapproving look for swearing and answered "Well, I have always loved helping others and caring for others. So I was a social worker. When I was 26, I got moved to Georgia because that was where my company was relocating."

"Did you have any siblings or pets?" She asked.

"I have a younger sister who was 21 when I moved here. But I don't know where she is or if she's dead. Because she's in Michigan where I used to live. And yes I had a dog who passed away when I was 18" I said.

"Well, you'll just have to assume the best for your sister. And just hope." She said.

"Yea..." I said, trailing off.

"What's her name?" She asked.

"My sister?" I asked.

"Well, yea." She said

"Emma" I said, smiling.

"Tell me about her" she requested.

"What is this, 20 questions?" I joked.

"C'mon, just tell me about her." She said.

"Alright" I said.

The rest of the night I told Makena about Emma. About how she used to be such a troublemaker when we were kids, and how she never cleaned her room, and what she was going to college for, but it was mostly just me ranting about how she always got me in trouble.

Makena went back into the car to get some sleep while I stayed up and kept watch. It wasn't like I was going to get sleep anyways.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When the sun was rising, I was carving a stick I had found into a spear, just out of boredom. The car door opened, and a sleepy Makena came out. I tucked the spear in my backpack.

"Mornin" she grumbled.

"Morning" I replied.

We had the can of baked beans for breakfast, and we each had a bottle of water.

"We need to get more food and water today" Makena said.

"Yea, but not the town down the road, I cleared that out yesterday" I said.

"Alright." She said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We walked all day in hopes of coming across a town, but had no such luck.

It was getting dark out, so we needed to find a place to hunker down.

"We need to find a place to sleep tonight." Makena said.

"I was just thinking that." I said.

"Maybe we could build a little camp in the woods just for the night, and continue searching tomorrow for food?" Makena suggested.

"Sounds good to me." I agreed.

We ventured into the woods until we found a good enough place to stop. I set out a blanket for Makena to sleep on.

"How about you get sleep tonight, and I'll take watch." Makena said.

"I'm fine, really. You get some rest. I'll take watch" I said.

"Alright, I guess" Makena said defeated.

I watched as she laid down and slowly drifted off to sleep. She was so peaceful, I was envious.

As I was watching her, I realized something. This girl is too innocent to be in this world, which made me want to fight harder for her.

I was going to protect this girl with every ounce of strength I had.

Authors' Note: Well, here's two chapters in one day to help get this book started. We're going to collaborate to come up with more chapters. Our goal is to do a chapter a day. So we hope you enjoyed, so recommend this book if you like it so far! Please stick with us. And don't forget to comment, follow us, and vote!