Chapter 20 - He Left?

"Ally, you take Glenn and the girl back to the car" Rick instructed me.

"No. No way, Rick. I'm not sitting on the sidelines for this one"

"You're still recovering. It's bad enough I let you come with us here in the first place"

"I'm going with you to get Daryl whether you like it or not" I growled.

He sighed, "Maggie, you take Glenn and the girl back to the car. Ally....come with me". I smirked in triumph. When they started walking away, I stopped the girl.

"What's your name?" I softly asked.

"Michonne" she quietly responded. I smiled at her. The corner of her lip twitched, then she turned to catch up with Glenn and Maggie.

I turned to Rick, he looked at me questioningly, "Why did you do that?"

"I was very curious. Come on, it's not like you weren't curious either"

He grunted, "Come on, let get him and get the hell out"

I nodded in agreement. We snuck back into the walls of Woodbury, our guns raised. We followed the cheering, and entered an outdoor arena. There was a man talking, but I couldn't make out what he was saying. We spotted a dumpster and hid behind it. I caught the last of the man's speech,

"Winner goes free. Fight....to the death!"

The crowd erupted in applause and cheers. I peered over the dumpster and saw Daryl and another man. The man had a slight resemblance to Daryl. Daryl is breathing heavily and looks unsure of what to do.

I come back down and whisper to Rick, "Who is that?"

He quickly peers over the dumpster and growls, "Merle"

I peer over our hiding spot again, Merle suddenly yells, "Y'all know me! I'm gonna do whatever I gotta do to prove...." He swiftly punches Daryl in the gut, sending him to the ground, clutching his stomach in agony. Tears stung in my eyes. "that my loyalty", he kicks Daryl hard making him roll in pain, "is to this town!"

I put a hand over my mouth, the other one resting on my stomach, slow tears rolling down my cheeks. I come back down and wipe the tears away with the back of my hand.

"We need to get more smoke ready. How you doin' on ammo?" Rick quietly asked.

"I'll manage". I can hear Daryl being kicked and punched more, sudden anger builds up inside me. I hear the distant noise of walkers snarling. I peer over again to see men bringing out walkers on sticks.

"Rick" I whisper.

He looks over, "Jesus"

Daryl gets up and punches Merle, causing him to stumble back. Daryl advances toward him again, but he grabs Daryl's collar and throws him down on the ground. Merle bends down and places his large hands around Daryl's neck, causing my anger to intensify.

The men with the walkers form a circle around the brothers. Merle suddenly pulls Daryl on his feet, and the two brothers press their backs together. They start punching the walkers. Rick pulls me down,

"Ready?"

"Hell yeah"

He nods, and readies the smoke bombs. I raise my gun and shoot a walker getting too close to Daryl. The crowd screams in fright. Rick throws out the smoke. Smoke is everywhere, I can't see Daryl. I can hear him yelling for his brother.

He suddenly runs out to the smoke, his brother right behind him. I growl. Daryl runs up to me and grabs my hand, pulling me away. I squeeze his hand with force, and he squeezes it back just as hard. Rick guides us out of the arena, "Let's go. Go"