chapter iii : : black

Jack took a dish from one of the kitchen cabinets and grabbed the milk jug from the fridge. Kicking the door closed with his foot, he turned to where he had last seen the puppy. His eyes widened and his forehead crinkled. Holding the bowl in one hand and the milk jug in the other, he turned around like a confused carousel. It was somewhat comical—losing an animal as big as one's skull!

"Here, boy," Jack said, his eyes moving back and forth that a clock pendulum. Moistening his lips, Jack knelt to the ground and looked under the kitchen counters, even though a dog its size could not fit under the sink or dishwasher. "First day and lose you all—," Jack almost finished his sentence before he caught sight of a shadow passing by him. Scrambling off the floor, he looked around the corner of the kitchen and what he saw made him look twice. The puppy, which had been only eight inches tall that last time he had looked at it, was at least a foot tall at the shoulders. Blinking, Jack shook his head and laughed quietly to himself.

"Maybe you looked smaller outside." Jack shrugged, it sounded like a good explanation at the time. Patting his thigh, he knelt slowly to the floor. The flashback memory of Jody from the grainy old classic film, The Yearling, came to mind. Half mimicking, half teasing the iconic scene, Jack raised his voice into a boyish squeak – as his voice had changed years ago – and said through a plastic smile, "It's me, Jack."

The puppy yawned and its pink tongue rolled out and then curled back in. The beady eyes disappeared and reappeared as it blinked, not amused.

"Suit yourself." Jack tossed the bowl onto the floor, not really caring if it tipped over. He liked animals, but not the "snotty" kind. The little black runt had this pompous look in its eyes, as if it was entitled to more than it deserved. At least, that's what Jack thought.

The puppy's hackles rose and a low growl rumbled in its small throat.

Jack raised an eyebrow and smirked. Turning around from the dishes he was putting away, he leaned against the dishwasher and folded his arms. "Don't use that tone on me, little man."

The puppy released such a sharp bark, it hopped into the air for a second and then landed in a rolly-polly mass of furry legs.

"You crazy dog." Jack whipped the dish towel over his shoulder and made to help the puppy up before, without a shadow or a warning, the animal leaped forward and clamped its teeth around his thumb. Jack yelled and yanked his hand away. The pain burned like a wasp sting and throbbed like it was on fire. "You devil!"

The puppy huffed through its flared nostrils and pranced over to its bowl of milk and bread. It began lapping it up calmly, as if nothing had happened.

Jack examined his hand, worrying about rabies. The two bite marks were deep and the bleeding hadn't stopped. He had to call Nigel. Wrapping his injured hand in the dishtowel, he walked out of the kitchen to the family room, where his phone was lying on the coffee table. Sweating, Jack reached out to grab it before something knocked his hand out of the way.

"What the?" Jack exclaimed, looking around the room. He thought it was his parrot, Dean, but the parrot wasn't even smart enough to do that, much less unlock his cage. Panting and feeling dizzy, Jack's eyes fell upon a large black creature standing in the middle of the room. Blinking, Jack squinted and focused in on the stranger. "This is crazy...I..." Jack stumbled forward and caught himself from colliding onto the coffee table. His free hand grasped his phone.

Keeping his eyes on the massive black object in the room, he dialed Nigel.

"Hello?"

"Niel..." Jack mumbled before breaking into a string of violent coughs.

"Woah, woah, buddy. What's wrong? Jack?" Nigel's voice had changed quickly from a cordial greeting to instant worry. Jack never called him 'Niel' unless something was terribly wrong. "Where's the dog?"

"I...he's with me...and he's changed...you've got to come quick."

"Did he bite you?"

Jack nodded his head and his eyes fell shut. Before he lost control over his words and body, he stuttered into the mouth piece, "I see fire." His fingers loosened and he felt his body descending to the floor. The room became fuzzy and he felt nothing but his own sweat coating his body. The last thing he heard was Nigel's voice—soft, haunting, and distant.

"Me too. I see fire, too."