chapter viii :: recruiting

Nigel drove to the Animal Care Centre, not even knowing why, except that he knew that was supposed to be their destination. He parked crookedly beside a handicap parking space and dashed into the building. He cut off a woman and her small, yappy terrier, but he had no time for courtesy. Stepping into the spacious veterinary office, he searched the desk for the young blonde vet technician, Brittany Foster.

She and the boys weren't close friends, but she knew of them and had looked after Jack's two dogs when the Anthony's went away for vacation. Nigel wasn't sure why he was looking for her, but figured he needed some help and Brittany served to be a promising candidate.

"Sir, have you been helped?" a receptionist asked.

Walking up to the desk, Nigel replied breathlessly, "I'm looking for that girl, Brittany? She's average height, blonde hair?"

The receptionist raised an eyebrow and sized Nigel up suspiciously. "What's your name?"

"Erm, Nigel Wilde."

The lady's eyes brightened and a large smile came across her pudgy cheeks. "That's right, your father is the operator of that Chick-fil-A nearby!" She snapped her fingers, her face still lit up. "I love, love, love Chick-fil-A, it is the best place! But you probably already know that!" She gave him a friendly wink and stood up from her chair.

Nigel tried to smile along with her, but his current situation made him out to be rude and hurried, something he wasn't normally. He tapped the counter impatiently and waited for the lady to assist him in the other matter.

"Oh, yes! Brittany. I think she's in the back. If you have a seat, I'll get her for you."

"Thanks so much." Nigel gave her a small smile and plopped down into a nearby chair where a tiny child sat beside him, staring up at him inquisitively.

Moments later, the receptionist returned to the lobby with the girl behind her. "Is this who you wanted to speak to?"

"Yeah, thank you." Nigel stood up from his chair and his eyes latched onto the girl.

Brittany, slender and quiet, waited for an explanation. She was very pretty with her even features, small nose, thin lips, and crystal eyes that appeared to be different shades of blue or green, depending on what colour clothes she wore. Her demeanor was that of an intelligently raised young woman who knew exactly what she wanted in life. Nigel was still wondering what was taking Jack so long to ask her out.

"Sorry for popping in like this, but, erm, you know my friend, Jack, yeah?" He leaned in closer, as if trying to keep an untold secret between them.

"Yes?" Brittany made a small laugh, unsure at what the boy was asking of her. "Is there something wrong with his dogs?"

"Actually, it's a different dog. But, I was wondering if you could help me. I know you don't know us very well, but Jack's fond of you, and we're in a bit of fix." Nigel bit his lip, finding the tension between them severely awkward. He had imagined their encounter a lot differently in the car: him more assertive and calm and the girl not as assertive or calm. "Listen, this sounds crazy, but I need someone to help me. Jack's missing."

Brittany's mouth parted and she looked around the office before walking over to a more secluded area in the lobby. "Listen, I can't get off work--,"

"Say it's an emergency...because it is."

"Why me? Why don't you call the police?"

"I can't."

Brittany's face dropped and her eyelids fell halfway, no longer interested. "Do not get me involved in this, please. I have a career, an apartment, a car, and possible boyfriend--,"

"He's probably not that cool," Nigel said under his breath.

"What did you say?" Brittany's jaw moved in that threatening shift women did when they knew the man had stepped over the line, but wanted them to admit to it.

"Nothing. But listen, I don't know anyone to ask. We were on our way here anyway with a new dog, but they went missing. And a lot of insane things have been going on--,"

Brittany sighed and brushed past Nigel. "I'm sorry, I can't get involved."

Nigel wanted to threaten her or mention Jack's life was possibly at stake, but he knew it wouldn't be appropriate and any involvement with the police would delay his mission. "All right, okay, listen."

Brittany quickened her pace, hoping to dodge any further conversation with Nigel, but she wasn't fast enough.

"Here's my number. When you get out of work, text me. There's Jack's number as well, but he doesn't have his phone with him." Nigel handed her a slip of paper he had written in the car before he came in. He gave her one more pleading look, and then rushed out of the building as fast as he had come in.

"What was that about?" the receptionist asked.

Standing still and holding the slip of paper in her hands, Brittany looked down. She expected to see the familiar strand of digits, but instead, she saw three symbols and a note. Her brows creased and she brought the note closer to her eyes. The symbols were the same symbols marked on Jack's hand and Nigel's neck and collarbone. Underneath the designs, in Nigel's writing, were these words:

Research these 3 markings for me. When you find them, text this number. 336-889-5656 / J: 336-409-2137 - Nigel.

"It was nothing. His friend's in some trouble, but it's nothing," Brittany answered, tucking the paper into the back pocket of her scrub. She glanced over at the door she had last seen Nigel, debating on whether or not the situation was worth risking everything she had ever worked for.