Chapter 2 - Exciting News

            Kenina ran as fast as she could. It was he, after so long she was finally seeing his face again! She ran swiftly across the length of pasture in between them closing the gap quickly.

“William!” she yelled as she leaped into her best friends waiting arms.

“Kenina! Oh how I’ve missed you!” William exclaimed wrapping her in his arms spinning her around once and setting her back on her feet.

“Well look at you!” he said holding her at arms length.

“You’ve still not grown while I’ve been gone,” he grinned mischievously at Kenina.

“Oh shut yer mouth! I’ve grown perfectly well since you’ve been gone,” she replied, slugging him on the shoulder playfully.

William chuckled, “no I don’t think you have, I believe last I saw you, you were wearing the exact dress you’re wearing now, which shows you haven’t grown one bit my dear Kenina.”

“Well William not all of us receive new clothes annually as you can,” Kenina gave him a playful glare as she turned to walk away.

“Why are you leaving I just got here,” he said grabbing her arm to pull her around.

Kenina held in a gasp as she started truly looking at William for the first time. He had shaggy golden hair down to his shoulders that had a slight wave in it. His eyes were a deep brown like a rare wood. He was nearly a foot taller than her and had broad shoulders. His body was tall and lean. He was handsome to say the least.

Kenina felt her breath trying to quicken and took a deep breath praying he hadn’t noticed, before answering. “I have to get to work, father is upset with me. I accidentally slept in this morn.”

“Ah, I see,” A hint of playfulness glittered in his eyes. “Of course, well then my dear Nina, I shall call on you tonight then.”

“All this formalism is because?” Kenina asked William, eyeing him with playful suspicion.

William gave her a big toothy grin, making her heart quicken slightly. “’Twas part of my training… my lady,” he bowed.

“Oh stop,” she laughed pushing him mid bow, nearly knocking him over.

“Kenina! Get your arse over ‘ere and get te work!” her father yelled from the gate to the fields.

“Well I best be going, I’ll see you tonight then?” She curtsied before adding sarcastically, “Sir William.” He chuckled as she turned to leave, “Oh how I have missed you my dear Little Nina.”

Kenina slugged him once more before running towards the fields, leaving her best friend, her William, behind her.

It was a blistering day, the air humid and hot. Kenina was red faced with heat when her mother finally called them for dinner. Kenina dropped the hoe she had been working with and ran for the cool shade inside the house, escaping from the heat. When she got in she immediately sat at the table, laying her face against the cool wood.

“Kenina, ‘re you alright? Goodness child you look sick!” her mother exclaimed once she saw her daughter, red faced and exhausted. “Here ye go drink some water, it should help ye cool down at least a bit.” Kenina’s mother placed a cup of water in front of her and went about serving the simple dinner they were about to enjoy. Her mother was a large woman, adapted to working outside, she had pitch-black hair, dark as the deepest parts of the sea. Her eyes a deep blue, set in a soft face, with welcoming features. Her mother was a well-liked woman in their small village. The mother to all the children though she only had one herself.