Chapter 3 - The Awkward Supper

“Supper!” Seona called from the house. Kenina got up from kneeling in the potato pasture. Brushing the dirt from her knees she turned to look at the setting sun, with all its majesty. The colors were beautiful, all the oranges, reds, and purples. It was like an intricate gown created by god to dress the night sky.

As Kenina was about to step through the door to her cottage, she heard some thing in the brush. Turning towards the sound she saw her best friend approaching the house.

“William!” Kenina exclaimed, a grin spreading across her face.

William walked towards her, a grin on his own face. “My dear Kenina, how art thou on this beautiful evening?” he chuckled as he pulled her into his arms. Warmth spreading throughout his body as he held her, oh how he had missed her. The year of his absence had been long and nearly unbearable. He missed his Kenina, his childhood sweetheart. It had saddened him to leave to training on his father’s orders just as she had come of age. Oh well, it was all in the past now, and he could finally have his Kenina close, always.

‘William stop that stupid formal shite, its unnecessary and unwanted,” Kenina said, struggling to pull herself away from him.

“Kenina my love, why do you pull away so? Can’t we stay like this forever?” William chuckled trying to hold her tight, allowing her to squirm.

“William cut it out,” she said, laughing so hard at this point she could no longer struggle.

“Eh-hem” Kenina’s father cleared his throat, making sure they knew he was there. William straightened, letting Kenina out of his embrace so quickly she nearly fell over giggling. She quieted herself as she straightened and looked away from her father’s stern gaze.

“Er, good evening sir.” William said bowing to Kenina’s father formally.

Kenneth, Kenina’s father, snorted and looked at William, his gaze unfriendly.

“Kenina get your arse in here for supper so ye can get te bed.” He said, putting emphasis on the bed part.

“Sorry papa, I’ll be brief I promise,” Kenina replied looking at her feet, until he was well in the cottage. Kenina spun around, “Look what you did, you’ve gone and got me in trouble, thanks a lot,” She said, poking William in his chest, a false look of anger on her face.

“Well my lovely Kenina, I guess I’ll be going now. Might I see you tomorrow?” he asked, a wide grin on his face.

“Uh, well…”

“William!” Kenina was interrupted by her mother bursting out the front door.

“Oh! William oh we’ve missed you so much com’ere!” Seona rushed at William giving him a hug. She pulled back, standing next to Kenina looking him up and down.

“Goodness! You’ve grown so much! You’re so big, what happened te ye?” she exclaimed. “My you must’ve been a late bloomer, ye weren’t this big when ye left. Was he Kenina? Or as handsome,” she said, nudging Kenina in her ribs with her elbow. Kenina looked at her mother in total embarrassment.

“I’m sorry,” she mouthed to William, who just looked at her and her mother with a wide grin. He loved Seona like his own mother, and knew how outrageous she could.

“So William, will ye be joinin us fer supper?” her mother asked, giving him an over-exagerated  wink, which Kenina could clearly see.

“I am unsure, for it is up to your daughter to decide,” William replied turning to Kenina expectantly.