Chapter 5 - Uninvited Guests

            Kenina and William sat on the floor in front of Seona back home at the cottage. She was at work on the gown for Kenina, so she had needed her to stay inside so as to measure it on her. Kenina and William were taking advantage of every minute of her not working outside. They had been reminiscing and rough housing as they had been watching Seona work skillfully on the beautiful fabric. Seona had found some gold ribbon and was now weaving it through the back carefully; being sure each length of it was straight.

It was getting dark outside; the sun would soon be gone. Pa should have been in a bit ago; I wonder what is taking ‘im so long. Kenina thought to herself, after laughing at a joke William had just made.

“There now, Kenina stand up, le’me hold this up to ye,” Seona said excitedly standing, carefully holding the dress by its shoulders. Kenina jumped up from next to William, excitement clear on her face.

“Ma ‘tis perfect!” she exclaimed holding the dress against herself, doing a little spin. She stopped when she was facing the other two.

“Can I try it on?” Kenina squealed with excitement.

“O’ course love,” Her mother replied. Kenina dashed behind the curtain shrugging off her old dress. Carefully she pulled the new gown over her head, when it reached the ground and had settled completely, she noticed it was too long. This was odd because her mother was the best seamstress she’d ever known. Strange, she thought.

“Ma, ‘tis too long,” she said, coming out from behind the curtain, the gown, not being tied in the back, hung slightly forward, exposing her shoulders. William’s eyes widened slightly before returning to their normal state, he felt he should look away but couldn’t bring himself to do so. She looked so delicate in this state, not her normal rough self, she looked more like a lady than he had ever seen her. He was captivated by her so much he didn’t hear what was going on around him.

“Well Kenina, that’s because ye got te be wearin petticoats beneath it, that’s why the bottom is so loose and long.” Seona told her, smiling at the confused look on her daughters face. Kenina herself didn’t own a petticoat, but Seona had kept one from her youth as nobility, along with a few other garments she had been saving for her daughter.

“But I do’naye have a petticoat, we’ve ne’er been able te get me one o’ those.” Kenina said a little confused.

“We do’naye ‘ave te be buyin ye one, I ‘ave one fer ye,” Seona replied, smiling calmly. She walked over to the wood trunk that was kept at the foot of the bed she and her husband shared. The trunk was simple, the only intricacies were those on the band that sat at the level of the lock. Opening the chest, Seona removed a few quilts and things they stored there until winter. Once everything was moved, there was a sheer cloth visible, it was bundled around its contents and tied neatly on the top. She carefully untied the ribbon holding it together and folded the cloth out of the way. Just beneath laid layers of fabric, which formed a large petticoat. Seona pulled it out by the top and walked over to Kenina who had a surprised look on her face.

“Ma I ‘ad no idea ye even had one o’those.” Kenina said in slight awe as her mother ushered her towards the curtain.

“I know, now enough, just go ‘nd change,” Seona said excitedly as she shut the curtain behind her daughter. Waited a few moments, listening as Kenina grunted while pulling the dress off and the undergarment on, then went in after her to tie everything together.

“There, perfect,” she said exiting from the curtain. She went to stand next to William and they both waited for Kenina to come out.

After a moment, Kenina stepped just outside the curtain. She was looking down at the dress unsure, then looked to see William and her mother’s expression. Her mother looked so happy it seemed she was about to cry.

William stood there in complete awe his mouth ready to drop open at any moment, she looked absolutely beautiful. He was stunned, he had always thought she was beautiful, but this dress made everything look perfect. It moved with every perfect curve of her body, the neck just low enough to show her smooth neck and upper chest. The sleeves were sleek and reached her wrists. The colors of the dress made her skin look more fair than usual, her eyes were shining and very noticeable, the beautiful brown, even the green in them was perceptible from where he was across the room. Her hair shone dark brown, the highlights in it a beautiful amber-gold.

“Well?” Kenina began quietly, “How does it look?” Why is William looking at me like that? Is something wrong? Does it make me look funny? Panic began setting in as Kenina got more nervous until William smiled so much it reached his eyes. He went to say something but was interrupted by Seona’s squealing.

“Oh! Kenina yeh look lovely my darlin’ girl.” Seona rushed to Kenina wrapping her arms around her, squeezing her with a tight mother bear hug.

“Ma I cannot breath with ye holdin’ me like that,” Kenina gasped.

“Oh, I’m sorry my dear, its just, ye look so beautiful,” Seona gushed as she stepped back and took a long grinning look at her daughter, she looked exquisite. Seona couldn’t help but think how pleased any laird would be for her to be his bride. Kenina giggled at her mother and turned to William expectantly.

“Well? What do ye think William?” Kenina asked, a hint of nervousness at the edge of her voice. He took a second look-over and grinned even wider.

“Kenina you look magnanimous,” he beamed at her before going into a slight bow,

“Wouldst thou care to dance, my lady?” he asked offering her his hand.

Kenina giggled but placed her hand in his, and took a slight curtsy. Leading her to his side lifting her hand in his, William led Kenina to the middle of the small room. She stepped into his arms placing her free hand onto his shoulder as he wrapped his around her waist. Though the thought of how the laird would perceive her was still in his mind, he pushed it away to the back, deciding to simply enjoy the moment at hand and save the worries for later. They laughed and twirled as Kenina tripped over her own feet, she wasn’t used to dancing formally, she was used to the folk dances of the locals.

William couldn’t be happier than he was at that moment. He had Kenina in his arms and they were laughing and enjoying themselves tremendously. If only this night could last forever, he thought to himself. They twirled and twirled laughing as Seona looked on laughing and clapping a rhythm for them. But as always, these things can’t last forever. They were interrupted by her father clearing his throat from the doorway.

William and Kenina slowed and looked in his direction, Seona had stopped clapping and had a grave yet shocked look on her face. Her father stood just inside the right of the doorway and just in front and to the left of him stood a man and a woman, both older, and both dressed as nobility.

“Seona,” Kenneth said in a shaky voice, “We have some company.”  Seona closed her mouth which had fallen slightly open, she straitened up pulling on her dress, only when she was standing as tall as the menacing couple in the doorway did she reply.

“Ma, Pa, What can we do fer ye?” Seona asked, keeping her voice steady. Kenina who had turned to her mother, turned back towards the people standing a few feet from her. Her jaw dropped as she realized these were not only her relatives, but her grandmother and grandfather.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys sorry i've taken so long, there is alot more to this chapter but i thought i'd put up a piece of it... a small piece mind you, i think this is the longest chapter i've ever writtem, but at least a piece is better than nothing at all :D hope you like it, Vote if it deserves it, comments and things mean alot to me though :) so pls do so xD thanks a bunch :D not too long before the rest of this chapter is up i hope xD