Chapter 5 - Uninvited Guests (cont'd)

Chapter 5 - Uninvited Guests (Cont'd)

“What is going on here?” her grandfather said gruffly, referring to Kenina and William who had separated from each other and stood each with their hands behind their backs and heads slightly bowed.

“That is naye the issue at hand,” Seona replied with a strict edge to her voice. She walked briskly and stood in front of Kenina and William like a mother bear guarding her cubs, she continued standing tall, not once did she waver, she had the appearance of nobility in a simple farmers wife disguise.

“We came te meet our granddaughter, we have the right don’t we?” her grandmother replied, turning her nose up a little higher.

Kenina lifted her head just enough to get a glimpse of the intruders from beneath her eyelashes, she hadn’t met them before so that was all they seemed to her, Intruders.

The woman had a red dress on that looked extremely heavy, it was wide and made from materials of red and brown with bits of gold stitch-work here and there. Her hair was silver-gray and pulled into a tight up-do. she wore earrings and a necklace and each seemed to be made from expensive jewels.  The man was dressed in rich brown colors, his hair the same shade of silver and his eyes blue. He stood about as tall as Kenina’s own father, the only difference being he stood straight and didn’t slouch.

“Seona, are you not going te introduce us?” the man said, sending a small glare to her before returning his gaze to Kenina.

“Kenina, William, This is Innes Seonag Moncreiffe and Erskine Dand Moncreiffe of the midland Moncreiffes. Kenina, these are your grandparents.” Seona said slowly, saying the last part bitterly. They each nodded as their names were spoken.

“Ah, Kenina is it? What an appropriate name, ye are quite lovely my dear,” Her grandmother began.

“Well, that is, besides your hair is too light, and your eyes are brown, but besides that the rest is… acceptable, at least.” She was now approaching Kenina like a vulture swooping in. Kenina kept her head bowed, not wanting to make eye contact. Seona stood her ground and glared at her mother as she approached Kenina.

“Innes ye ‘ave naye business te be judging her like a common villager,” Seona said, anger edging her voice.

“Seona don’t you dare address me in such a fashion, ye have no right you gave up your status and title long ago, for that o’er there,” Innes finished sending a glare over her shoulder at Kenneth.

“That being so, ye ‘re still my mother, I’ll address you however I see fit,” Seona shot back taking a step forward.

“Seona, you know being of a lower station and speaking of nobility in such a manner has consequences,” Erskine said in a low voice from where he was still standing near the door. Seona glared at him but said no more.

“Now, where was I,” Innes resumed sending a smirk to Seona before she began circling Kenina.

“Well, a bit too tall, a bit thick, however, she still has beautiful shape. She will make a fine bride to a laird by the time I am done with her,” she said as she finished her circle, now standing in front of her, Innes lifted Kenina’s chin and moved it to look at each side of her face.

“Skin is a bit dark, nothing powder cant fix. Eyes may be brown but have some green which may help her.” Innes continued on pointing out Kenina’s flaws as the rest remained quiet.

William stood as a statue at the side of the room, holding back his fury at the insolent woman and her remarks. Kenina was beautiful, and she was his as far as he was concerned. They had no business barging in here and ruining their happiness, only to replace it with annoyance. Kenina’s emotions were flashing on her face, ever so slightly just enough both William and Seona could see them while no one else could tell. She was getting self conscious and hurt. Just when William thought he could no longer restrain himself Innes turned to him.