Chapter 6 -

Chapter 6- Untitled and Unfinished

Wearing her second best dress, the first being the one her mother had made the day before, Kenina rode silently in the elegant carriage of her grandparents, it was a red brown color with a red velvet interior. Gazing out the window at the passing scenery, she thought grimly about the events of the night before. These people who called themselves her grandparents were far from what she had ever imagined as a child.

She knew her grandparents on her father’s side, though they each had died when she was younger. Her grandpa died when she was eleven years old, she missed him dearly, when he passed she sobbed for one day, just one. She let her emotions out within a few hours before deciding he wouldn’t want her to be sad. She had to be strong for her parents, for this was the first time she had seen her father with his guard down, and the first of only two times she had ever seen him weep, the other being when her grandmother died.

She had mostly been sad that he had left her grandmother. She was so alone, she was a strong woman and didn’t show it but Kenina could see it in her eyes when she’d tell her stories from their past. Kenina consoled herself by thinking her grandfather was preparing their home in the afterlife for them before her grandmother got there. So when she passed about six years after her husband Kenina cried, but it was because she would miss her, she didn’t have the same painful ache her grandfather had left her with. She knew they were happily together again, and this put a smile on her face. Kenina thought about her grandparents often when she was sad, or felt she didn’t know what to do. The thought of them and their stories and soft words always helped. She smiled slightly as she continued to watch the scenery pass.

“And what are you thinking about that’s got you so amused?” Innes asked from her place opposite Kenina, the sneer in her ‘grandmothers’ voice was very clear and made Kenina feel sick.

“Nothing” she replied simply, smoothing her face and looking at her hands on her lap, her fingers entwined, she began circling her thumbs.

“Oh I know, is it that silly boy at your home last night. Well you can dismiss him from your thoughts, for now your heart, body, and soul are committed to obtaining the approval of the laird. You are to sit up straight, no more slouching, keep your chin up and lower it to no one but the Laird himself or you grandfather and I. When we exit the carriage you will accept the assistance of the servant and exit gracefully, no fumbling around. You are to walk three feet behind us, no closer no further. Speak to no one except out of civility. You are to be seen but not heard, it will keep you cryptic to those around you, a mystery, and everyone does enjoy a good mystery especially of the curious sort. Let us pray he is of such sort. These are all things that will help you in the future when the laird does in fact arrive and is watching.” To Kenina’s disbelief the old hag managed to say all this in one breath before plastering a smile to her face as the footman opened the door, let her husband out, then helped her. After they were out Kenina took a deep breath, let out a sigh, and took the man’s hand as she climbed down the step to the brick of the square.

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

William was lost in his thoughts when a jab hit his side. He was sparring with his father, a shorter man, thickening with age but strong as an ox and swift as a sparrow nonetheless.

“Concentrate William, that was a beginner’s mistake, and you are no beginner, what is disconcerting you so?” his father asked stepping back leaning his shoulder against the archway that separated that room from the next. William looked at his father briefly before sitting on a wooden bench along the wall, sweat dripping down his brow, he sat for a minute.

“Is it about someone or something?” his father nudged him to scoot over and sat next to him.

“Someone,” William replied shortly.