|Chapter 9

Everyone was asleep. 12 midnight. I turn off the ignition and exit the bus.

Cold.

It's Kia's shift soon. I should probably...

*pshsh* ... Nearby bushes rattled. I let my curiosity beat me, and so I walked towards it. The noise, louder and louder every step I take.

*PSHSH* The bushes rattled one last time. I reach in the bush and made a clearing. Holy crap.

A cub. A wolf cub. I thought there were no wolves in Colorado. I guess I was wrong.

*grrr* a low growl from the wolf. It was injured. And cold. I ran back to the bus and took four left over bones from our dinner. Kia's shift comes in the next hour. I have time. I ran back and took some casting tape from the First Aid kit. Lucky someone had a brain to buy that.

Giving him time to get used to me, I fed him a bone each time he let me pet him. Everything got better once I fed him the third bone. He let me heal him. Although letting out little squeals, growls, he let me heal him fully.

Having done my job, I gave the last bone, and turned around. Just before entering the bus, I hear a bone drop in the snow covered ground.I turn around. The cub, sitting there like a trained domestic dog. The bone in front of him.

"Do you want me to leave you here or?" I ask.

*grr* a low growl was my answer. I didn't even know he understood. I grabbed the bone and picked up the cub, took a blanket from a bed, climbed the ladder and set the cub there, using the blanket as a bed and a cover. I take a marker from my pocket and wrote my name on the casting tape.

'Kyle's Wolf Cub'

I climb back down having that feeling like I did something good. I put the key back in the ignition, turned, and stepped on the gas. Everyone still asleep.

30 minutes till Kia's shift. Hopefully no one notices my cub.