Chapter 1: Burning Awakening

Now try to imagine this, I'm looking dead in the face of like a million shadow beast. Then suddenly, they start attacking from the right, left, and even above. It doesn't seem like much I'm sure, but if you knew what I knew you would be ready to just drop down and die. Ok, so I'm getting ahead of myself here, let me start from how this all began, and trust me it gets crazy from here on out.

It wasn't any old day it was September 16th, now it was a good day, cause today is my birthday, the day I turn 15 Years old, now I know what you're thinking " So what you're 15, you can't drive yet or vote, so big whoop" and you're right, it's not the biggest milestone in my life, but if you knew what I was going through up until this point, you would be glad for this as well, I can't stay up past 9:00 cause my parents don't think I am trustworthy, and a lot of other rules that are kind of embarrassing, I rather not talk about, but nevertheless it was good for me, the reason behind it is I'm hoping that my parents will relax on all the rules in place and let me live my life like a normal person.

So I got dressed, grabbed my backpack, raced down the stairs, grabbed a piece of toast, and ran out the door for school before my parents woke up, they get a late start in the morning, yeah believe it or not for once the teen in the house is the one that gets up early. I'm running to school cause one piece of toast doesn't exactly get you ready for the day, so now I'm walking to the cafe in the school to grab some real food, then my luck has to kick me right in my blind spot, Alexa Thomas walks up behind me and says " hey Shawn, sup" now my problem is not that she's mean to me or picks on me, it's that she is always there, right behind me, wherever I go, if you think I'm lying then listen to this, some examples include at the store, post office, school, even vacation once, I'll explain that one later

Now that's only a small part of the long list I've been making over the past 10 years of my life, so I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm just saying I need my personal space, not a 14 year old girl in a tank top and shorts following me around like a lost puppy, but I still say the same thing I always say " Hey Alexa, how are you" I said with the same fake smile I've learned to do over the years, and she said " Good, but I think something strange is happening" then I said " I think the health teacher is the person you talk to about that" I said as I moved through the line getting eggs, bacon, and some orange juice.

To be honest the school food is horrible, but anything is better than what I had earlier, then she said " That's not what I meant" then I had to think about how to respond to this, cause even though she's always there behind me, she's still one of the closest friends I've ever had at this school, so I said" Well I'm not sure what to do about it, but I'll try my best to help as much as I can" then she said " Thanks" and walked off, when I checked the time I saw it was 3 mins till first period started, so I Wolfed down my breakfast and ran as fast as I could to math class, luckily I got there with like 7 seconds to spare before I was really late, the teacher, Mr. Duke, is really serious about being on time for class.

Mr. Duke was a tall man wearing a blue shirt, with jeans, he also had this reddish-brown hair that was more red than it was brown, anyway he was a nice enough man, just very serious about being on time, that and doing homework, but what teacher isn't, then he said" good morning class, I want you to pull out your math book and do pages 23 to 46 and have last night's homework out on your desk so I can put in a grade" yeah one more thing I forgot to mention, he gives out a ton of homework and class work during the day, but he gives you time to finish it.

So I put my homework on my desk and then got out my workbook and started to do the work in the book, then halfway through I decided to take quick break before I finished the rest of my book work, also I started to feel a bit warm, which was kinda strange because Mr. Duke kept the heat down to 72° degrees and I never got this hot, I got up the check the heat, it read 71° degrees, but it felt like it was 95° degrees, I didn't know what to think, a quick glance at the room and I noticed that Alexa wasn't in the room, I couldn't worry about that now, I had to take care of myself first, so I walked up to Mr. Duke and said " Umm Mr. Duke, I need to go the the nurse's office, I'm not feeling well"Mr. Duke felt the top of my forehead and said " Wow your forehead is burning up, yeah you can go, just be careful on the way down there" so I walked to the nurse and when I got there I saw Alexa sitting down in one of the chairs and she said in a painfully sounding voice " Shawn, what are you doing here?" then I said " I got a suddenly got a hot flash and came here, what about you?" then she started to explained that her joints were starting to stiffen up, then said " Yeah so I came here to see nurse Amber" when I heard that name I was confused and then said with a puzzled look " There's no one at this school called nurse Amber" we both looked puzzled, then the door opened and I saw a woman with brown hair, in a white coat, and black boats walk in, I stayed alert even she came closer.

when she got to close for my taste I said "Stay back!!!" then she gave a weird look and said " What do you mean?" then she tried to get closer to us, quickly without thinking I started to throw stuff at her, pillows, pencils, and the blocks in the corner, then when I thought I was out of things to throw, I found this pack of smoke bombs that had been taken away from some kid last week.

Then I found a lighter just sitting on the desk next to us, I ripped the package, tied them together, then lit then and quickly put them down, when they went off I put Alexa in one of the wheelchairs, cause she still couldn't move quite fast, and ran as fast as I could away from the office, I looked back and saw the fake nurse run after us, I decided to duck into the gym hoping someone was in there who could help us.

When I ran into the gym I saw that no one was in the gym, my luck had struck again, I turned and saw the nurse at the entrance, and she said " Nowhere to run now you brats, give me the silver flame" we looked at each other, then looked at her frightened " We don't know or have a silver flame" then her eyes turned red and then she started to transform into a monster or something, I don't know nor did I want to stick around to find out, then she was starting to charge right at us, I pushed Alexa out of the way, then it grabbed me, and pushed me up against the climbing wall, made out of real rocks, so you can bet it hurt a lot.

So it had me up against the wall, slowly crushing me with it's huge claws, then suddenly Alexa punched the monster in the back, it looked at her and with one fling of its claw it sent her flying to the other side of the gym, it let go of me and started to go after her, I got up and started to walk toward it, I couldn't get there in time, i was limping from getting smacked into the climbing wall, it got close and Alexa screamed " HELP!!!" then I yelled out " NOOO!!!" I went for a punch and suddenly a burst of fire came out, it hit the beast hard in the back and it flinched, it turned its attention to me and started to run after me. Not thinking I punched again and again, more burst of fire came out, hitting the beast left and right, it got on its claws and knees breathing heavy, then I was feeling pretty good about the power I had been using, so I said " Yeah, you want any more of this fire power" it slowly got up and said" This is not the end of me, we will not rest until we get the silver flame" then she started to run after me one last time, I held out my hand in a striking motion and the biggest burst of flames hurled itself at the beast.

The beast went down, suddenly the room was starting to get dark, Alexa ran over to me and wrapped her arms around me, the beast got up in a panic and yelled " NO NO, DON'T DO IT, I'LL DO BETTER I SWEAR, NOOOO!!!!" the room went black, and the monster wasn't there any more, it dispersed in the shadows, we got our nerves back and headed back to the nurse's office, when we opened the closet we saw the nurse tied up, we untied her and wondered what just happened we all agreed not to mention anything about this, but I still had many questions about what just happened, and I was determined to get some answers.