Chapter Thirty Nine

Matthew

An unbearable pain suddenly wakes me, and I vomit over the side of the mattress. My stomach heaves with the goal of expelling its contents, and once it's finished I cough and gasp for breath. My lungs burn. Color and texture swim across my gaze, swirling and combining to form a grayish mass of nothing. The left side of my head pulses so intensely that I wonder if I'm dying. Maybe I am. I hope I am. Instead of move and make the pain worse, I lie my head down and drift away into another fitful nap.

* * *

    The pain's better, but now I have to deal with the soreness. Every muscle screams each time I make even the slightest of movements.
What happened? I can only recall minute images: the flash of a gun handle, the rushing of fists, snickering taunts. Slowly, I blink my eyes open and sit up on the flat mattress. Beside me, I can make out the expansive shape of a blank dry-erase board on the wall. That's a start.
    Suddenly, a torrential flood of memories crashes over me. Being tricked by soldiers wearing rebel armbands, Enna flying away to safety, torturous pain and giddy taunts... I'd been told horrible things, that the Reptilians could do whatever they wished with me, that Fake Enna was going to brainwash me and force me to work for her ...
Then what am I doing here? Growing anxious, I start to scan the room that I'm trapped in for escape routes.
    The door across from me is locked, as I'd assumed. There's no window to show me the outside hallway. Only the lights set into the ceiling above me provide any source of illumination. How long have I been here? I swallow, testing the dryness of my mouth. My tongue feels like sandpaper and tastes bitter. I need water as soon as possible.
    "Hello?" I call. My voice cracks instantly and quickly dissolves into an ugly coughing fit. I try again after clearing my throat. "Hey!" There's no reply. As expected. And then, the door opens softly and Fake Enna enters my prison. A breath lodges itself in my throat.
    "No need to look so bothered, Matthew," she mutters. Her soft, familiar voice sets the hairs on my neck standing straight. I force myself to remember that this monster is far from the Enna I fell in love with. "I'm simply here to talk." I set my jaw and try to breathe more quietly, refusing to give her the response she's asking for. Fake Enna brushes the tips of her fingers against her blue and red uniform that cascades to the floor and scratches her powdered cheek.
    "Not ready to talk, are we?" My brain whirs with plans and diversions. Maybe I can attack her while she's caught unawares ...
    "I need water." Fake Enna raises a smooth eyebrow. I force my gaze to the floor, trying to conceal my fury. "Just give me something to drink."
    "And then you'll talk?"
    "Maybe." Without removing her gaze from my face, she calls out, "Perry, get me a glass of water." I try to muffle a curse. So much for my plan. Somehow, Fake Enna notices my disappointment.
    "I'm not an idiot, you know," she mutters, regally striding over to my bedside. That voice! I grind my teeth. "I've got more sense than you think I do." I remain silent as Fake Enna sighs, and sinks down onto the cot. I jerk my legs away, repulsed by the idea of touching her.
    "Matthew, let's skip the formalities. I know that Enna Price is alive." She leans forward, bright green eyes wide and framed with makeup. I want to hurt her. "Where is she?"
    I shrug, and Fake Enna sneers. Her narrow gaze suddenly turns cold.
    "I refuse to play games with you. I'm trying to be civil, Matthew. Where is Enna Price?" I close my eyes and shake my head, trying to remind myself of what's real and what's not. The wound on the side of my head throbs.
And then I feel a warm, smooth hand on my neck, starting to travel up the side of my face.
    She's trying to seduce me.
    Anger and disgust rake through my previous goal of silence and I slap Fake Enna.
    It happens in an instant.
    She jumps to her feet and touches a palm to her cheek as cold fury burns in her emerald eyes. Behind her, a man who had just entered the room carrying a glass of water throws it to the ground and sprints over to me, slamming the handle of his gun into my neck. I cry out and curl up on the bed, trying to protect my extremities. The soldier screams at me and beats me for a while more before Fake Enna sends him away. I slowly raise my head, unable to see properly through my squinted eyes. Breathing is a chore.
    "I see that this is what I have to expect from you. I can't say I'm surprised. Disappointed, perhaps." Her voice is level, but I can sense the rage beneath her words.
    She starts to exit my room. I see her turn around as soon as the crosses the threshold. "Tomorrow I'm taking you to the Pillar. I expect that you comply with my every demand."
    When the door slams shut I sit in silence for a long time. Then--my mouth impossibly dry--I arduously crawl over to the spilled glass of water across the room and pathetically lick up the remains.