Chapter Sixteen

Enna

    The world upends itself. And all I can do is run. Matthew's voice tries to pierce through my haze of panic, but his words end up awkward and disconnected. Leah, Oscar, and Sara? Are my eyes playing tricks on me?
    "She's hurt!" Leah screams. Her naturally loud voice violently cuts through the ruckus of screaming men, women, and children. "Get the medics!" A skinny, red-haired woman sprints out of the Medical Quadrant and another pang collides with my stomach. My steps falter and I shakily stand in place. It's Hope, the nurse from the Depot. The same one that used to doctor my bruises and cuts during my Training. In my shocked stillness, Matthew catches up with me and holds me captive against his body. I stare numbly at the scene playing out in front of me. Hope hurriedly picks up Sara's body and runs towards the Medical Quadrant, while people of the Resistance nervously glide out of her way. Oscar holds Leah almost the same way that Matthew holds me, whispering reassurances in her ear. My old friend looks so different. When I first met her, her curly hair hung down her back in carelessly pretty strands and her tanned face held such a refreshing quality of childishness. Now, she's hardened by the streets. Violence turns her large eyes dark, and lean muscles stick out along her arms and legs.
    "Come on," Matthew whispers. He leads me towards our sleeping bags: towards Leah and Oscar. I almost start to object when Leah sees me. Her nightmarish eyes widen with shock, and she elbows Oscar in the ribs. He follows her gaze, mouth promptly falling into an "O".
    "Enna." Leah's mouth forms the word silently and her face pales. Just as she starts towards me, Danny appears from amidst the crowd of people and starts to badger her with questions. A guilty sense of relief floods through my body. She sets her jaw angrily and turns to Danny, filling him in with the details. I feel hot tears penetrate the surface of my eyes, and I turn to hide them, pressing my face into Matthew's shoulder. His steady hands rise to comfort me, but mine shake uncontrollably. I don't know why seeing my old friends affects me so strongly, especially after all of the other things I've been through. Maybe since so many things have been taken away, it feels like that much more of a shock to come back to some form of normalcy. Whatever the reason, tears continue to flow down my cheeks, soaking into Matthew's t-shirt.
    "It's alright. It's fine." He mutters. I gasp for breath, and it takes a few seconds to steady myself. Once I do, I start to register the air of panic surrounding us. People of all ages take crates and large wood beams, stacking them against the entrance to form a barricade. I glance at the skylight, where bombs continue to fall from the sky.
    "What's happened? You don't think they found the hideout?" I ask, throat constricted with a mixture of fear and exhilaration. Matthew shrugs and points towards the entrance, where a large crowd has started to gather. I sag against him weakly, wondering whether I have the strength to face Leah or Oscar. He takes my wrist and starts to lead me towards the back of the crowd.
    "I don't want to," I mumble, throat tightening. Images start to race through my mind: Josh, peaceful meals in the Dining Hall, warm moments of camaraderie during training... These memories make me think too much of the things I've lost, and too much of the life I've failed to be thankful for.
    "Enna," Matthew places his forehead against mine, and makes me look him in the eyes. His body is strong and gentle alongside my weakness, keeping me steady. "We need to figure out what's happening, okay? We need to be strong." I nod and let him lead me over to the gathering. Danny stands on top of a closed, wooden crate, overlooking the people. Another young man, about my age, folds his arms over his chest and stands guard-like at the bottom of the makeshift platform. His brown hair is disheveled and dips in front of his intimidating gaze. I realize, somewhat numbly, that he stares at me. I avert my gaze awkwardly.
    "Listen up!" Danny screams. The stampede of noise slowly trickles down to a collective hum. "Leah here has informed me of a failed mission. After her group reached the Depot and managed to find some discarded firearms, they were spotted by a young guard. He called for reinforcements, and our friend Sara was struck by a bullet. Luckily, everyone managed to escape and hide behind some rubble for a few hours. We all must be especially careful, because this is the first time any of us has been spotted and I'll bet my next meal that the Feds are trying to sniff us out." Fearful shouts and exclamations follow Danny's quick speech, and he holds up two hands for silence. "But. We won't give up. Alright?"
    Slowly, one by one, people in the crowd hold four fingers in front of their hearts and bow their heads. Everyone gazes at Danny with such trust. The simple act of respect and courage sends a thrill of emotion through my spine, and I glance over at Matthew. He smiles, tight-lipped. Danny performs the small act and gazes out at the crowd again, searching for something. And then his gaze settles on me.
    "On the positive side, I have more news for you. Earlier this afternoon, two very special guests have found their way among our ranks. They have agreed to fight for all of you." Confused rebels look over their shoulders, wondering who these new soldiers could be. Danny looks right at Matthew and I, nodding us up towards the crates. My mouth grows dry, and Matthew grimaces, but we both manage to slowly tread through the crowd. Mutters and whispers follow us on both sides, and I force myself to ignore them. The boy with brown hair stares at me like I just punched him, eyes wide and mouth agape. Matthew helps me up onto a particularly tall crate, and he stands on an adjacent one.
    "Enna Price and Matthew Elliot!" Danny exclaims. The crowd falls completely silent, and all I can hear are my shallow breaths. My eyes frantically search the crowd for something familiar, anything, and then they fall on Leah. My old friend sobs against Oscar's shoulder, and he holds her back, staring with wonder at Matthew and I. My resolve almost breaks, and I squeeze my eyes shut.
    "Say something," Danny mutters so only I can hear him. What can I say? Does he want me to lie, and say that everything's going to be alright? But then I notice a group of children, faces ashen with worry, hands clasping each other's. They stand at the back of the crowd. I take a deep breath and force a smile.
    "I've been through a lot since leaving my city, but being back here reminds me why I've missed it so much." To my horror, my voice catches in my throat as I realize how true my words are. Matthew reaches up and holds my hand. A chorus of giggles and aww's drifts up from the crowd. Somehow, I find the strength to go on. "The people in my city never give up. They see no end, only hope. They always find a way. That's why I promise to find a way for you." Silence presses in on my ears for a long thirty seconds. My heart starts to race. Did I say something dumb? I can't remember... But then, the crowd slowly places four fingers against their chests, bowing their heads. Danny joins in. Matthew and I repeat the gesture, trying to look as comfortable as possible.
    "Thank you all. Now go get some food and start winding down. Tomorrow will be an interesting day," Danny shouts. I jump down from the crate and walk past the brown-haired boy. He glares at me until a group of women pass by, breaking him from view.
    "What's his problem?" I ask Danny as he catches up to me.
    "Who? Jackson?" He points towards the glaring boy and I nod.
    "He's my second-in-command," Danny says, shrugging. "But he doesn't matter much, does he? What matters is how well you performed!"
    "Performed? What do you mean?"
    "Are you kidding me? You were exactly what the people needed! For a while, I didn't know if I would ever get them excited about anything." I shrug, feeling awkward. He thought I was putting on an act? Well, it's true enough that I hadn't completely told the truth when I spoke to the crowd. Sure, I don't mind leading them and inspiring them, but can I be their champion as well? Am I any more truthful than Fake Enna, who only says the things she does to manipulate people? Danny leans over conspiratorially and hands me four red wristbands, just like the ones I've noticed everyone wearing.
    "These are for I.D.," he mutters, smiling. His own wristband stands out vividly against his dark skin. "You're one of us, now." I slip the bands into my pocket. Danny says goodbye and starts towards Jackson, who scowls. I watch them head towards the Quadrant with the makeshift room, and the knife-wielding guards bow them in. I start towards the Dining Quadrant, massaging my temples, when something slams into my body, knocking the breath from my lungs. Leah. She hugs me as if I might drift away if she doesn't hold hard enough. I hold her back. I can hear her crying... Or is that me?
    "I thought you'd been killed..." She mutters, voice trembling.
    "Me too," I reply, choked.
    "And you!" She breaks away from me and almost bowls over Matthew, who had drifted over to me after Danny left. He hugs her back stiffly and utters a breathy laugh.
    "It's good to see you, Leah." She steps back and stares at both of us. Part of her usual mischievous energy starts to enter her gaze.
    "Look at that, we've actually found you... An insurgent poster-child and a distinguished heartthrob." Matthew makes a choking sound.
    "Excuse me?" Leah rolls her eyes.
    "You've nearly been here a whole day. Haven't you heard the gossip--?"
    "Hey!" Oscar sprints into me with a rowdy hug. A genuine laugh escapes my mouth as I embrace my old friend. After a moment, he goes and claps Matthew on the back. "Why wasn't I invited to the reunion?"
    "Because you're freaking annoying?" Leah offers. Oscar smiles wryly and purses his lips.
    "Thanks, sweetheart." Leah rolls her eyes and smiles at me again. I find myself searching over her and Oscar hungrily with my eyes. They look so different somehow, yet just the same as before. How is that possible?
    "Would you two want to join us for dinner?" Leah offers hesitantly. I glance at Matthew and nod earnestly.
    "We would love that."
    And this time, it isn't a lie.