Chapter Forty

Matthew

The Earth spreads out far below me, reaching farther than I can see. It's beautiful. Granted, the countryside is broken by distasteful, abandoned settlements and dying fields. But there's something fundamentally beautiful about observing the planet from afar, being able to claim residence to something so indescribably expansive.
I shift a few centimeters in my seat, trying to relieve a spot along my spine without drawing attention from my pair of guards. They've been tailing me relentlessly ever since Fake Enna's people started to move out from Atlanta, about two hours ago. I still haven't been told what our destination is, but I have a gut feeling that it's New York. After all, Fake Enna had made it sound like her administration was taking over the Pillar. And the pilot heads in a general northward direction.
    The slick jet bounces a little as it meets a streamlined gust of air, and then the clouds part to reveal the New York City skyline. My throat grows dry and the knot on my head pulses more frequently; the city I had once respected lies in total ruins. Only piles of trash scrape the sky.
    A movement catches my eyes from the front of the plane: the small door leading to the cockpit slides open to reveal Fake Enna. Her hair is newly groomed, her makeup newly reapplied. Despite myself, I can't help but think that she looks gorgeous.
    "Perry. Watson. Give us some privacy, if you're so kind." Without a moment of hesitation, my two guards stand and pass Fake Enna, exiting through the door in which she entered. The air buzzes with tacit electricity. It's just me and her; no witnesses, nothing. Robes billowing behind her, she takes a seat in the padded chair across from me.
    "Roomy, isn't it?" She asks, fingering the soft armrests. I inhale suddenly upon noticing her long, clean nails. They look so odd on Enna.
Not her, I hurriedly remind myself.
    "It's certainly extravagant," I allow, letting a hint of sarcasm into the comment. She sighs.
    "Are you eager to return?" When I raise an eyebrow, she nods towards the window, where the city stretches towards the sky. Only the Pillar sits relatively untouched by bombs. I shrug, refusing to respond honestly. Truthfully, I find it relieving that I'll be so near to the Resistance. Hopefully, with a well-timed plan, I can--
    "You won't escape," she mutters flatly. "Save yourself the disappointment."
    "What do you want?" I growl, suddenly furious at this... this thing. It's one matter to be imprisoned by a human being, and entirely another to be vanquished by an imitation of one. I reach across the space and grab Fake Enna's arm. Her eyes widen momentarily, and what I see I them scares me. Fear. The same fear I periodically glimpse in Enna's eyes. "What the hell do you want from me?"
    "Matthew," she breathes, staring at me. Our faces are only inches apart. For a second--a second--I almost think she's going to kiss me. But then that cold, robotic look fills her retinas and she yanks her arm from my grasp with frightening force.
    "Touch me again and I'll make sure all of your friends don't see the light of day," she hisses. Anger rises in my throat like poison, but I shove it down. I slump back against my chair, confused about the moment we just shared.
    "Just tell me what you want."
    "We're moving into the Pillar." Fake Enna folds her hands in her lap and stares at a spot slightly beside my head. "My men are setting up cameras and screens throughout the city. If they catch sight of any of your friends, we'll know about it. The feeds broadcast everywhere in the country."
    "Why do you need me then?" The jet starts to slow, circling in to land on a helipad on top of the Pillar. Below, tiny black jeeps pour into the city like ants into a colony. My breaths come out harsher than I'd like.
    "Because." Fake Enna stares at me squarely, deciding whether she should speak or not. I recognize the expression. "Well, let's face it. You're as much a symbol as Enna is. People will listen to you." Slowly, I start to comprehend her words. I tighten my jaw and shake my head.
    "No. No, absolutely not!" Fake Enna raises her eyebrows and I stand, hiding my sudden lightheadedness. "You cannot make me help you deceive people!"
    "Don't be absurd, of course we can." The jet jumps as it touches down. She lowers her voice and narrows her eyes. "You know why?"
    "Why?" I growl, hands trembling uncontrollably.
    "Because I know that you'll do anything for Enna Price. And she'll do anything for you." In that instant, something breaks within me and I leap towards her, crying out in fury. In a smooth, lean movement, she kicks out and slams a foot into my abdomen. Rendered breathless by her pure strength, I stumble back and land on the hard ground. My vision swarms with tears of agony and I gasp, struggling to sit up.
    "One thing you should know about me," Fake Enna mutters coldly, her face hovering over mine. I hear the tromp of soldier boots and feel hard hands drag me to my feet. "I'm not Enna Price."

* * *

Fake Enna

    I hurry down the hall, looking for the meeting room. Jeremy had made me promise that I would talk with him as soon as we touched down at the Pillar. The only problem is that the towering building is so large that finding the exact room is proving to be more difficult than I thought it would be. Biting my tongue in annoyance, I launch into a speedy jog. The room should be right--
    "Enna!" I come to a jarring stop and twist to find Jeremy peering out of a doorway I just passed. He smiles tightly and I sigh, entering the room. It looks like an office of sorts, complete with desk, chair, and pile of papers. "Exercising?"
    "I was lost," I gasp, fighting to calm my breaths.
    "Take a seat, take a seat," Jeremy says good-naturedly, pointing me towards a chair. I accept the invitation. "I'm very eager to hear about your interactions with the Elliot boy."
    "Are you?" I ask, trying to keep anxiety out of my voice. I still can't help but feel the ghost of his hand upon my skin, see the urgency in his beautiful, golden eyes... Jeremy stares at me expectantly.
    "Well?"
    "There's not much to tell." I shift awkwardly in my seat. At least it's the truth.
    "Is he safely in his quarters?" Jeremy urges, eyes narrowing in obvious annoyance at my shortness. I've got to be careful.
    "Yes. He put up quite a fight, too." I flap my hand and force a smile. "Nothing a good bashing couldn't fix." Jeremy smiles gleefully.
    "Have you mentioned anything about his assisting you?" I swallow, and I can feel my face fall.
    "He certainly wasn't happy about it. But we can force him to do anything."
    "That's the spirit!" Jeremy claps me on the back and grins again. "Are the Hidden Allies positioned?"
    "I'm keeping in touch with their leader. He says that they are all positioned at the East Wall. With word from me, they'll begin their infiltration. It should take them several days to reach New York."
    "Excellent!" Jeremy leans back in his chair and props his grimy boots up on the desk top. I wrinkle my nose. "Do you need me to send you more guards to... persuade Elliot?" My heart flips uncomfortably. Despite who I am, despite what I must do, despite what lies at risk, despite, despite, despite... There remains a part of me--a tiny, insignificant part--that would rather die than let Matthew come to harm. Far from Enna Price and Jeremy's harsh orders and the growing rebel resistance, that part of me is my largest enemy. If I can't face it head-on, then I lose the most important battle that I face.
    "There's no need." I cross my arms over my chest. "I can do it on my own."