Chapter Forty Nine

I don't sleep that night. But I also don't think about what's in store for me tomorrow. Instead, I switch on the bed-side lamp at 3:00 in the morning and stand, walking quietly towards the bedroom door. My fingers sting when they touch the cool metal knob. Leah's words swarm in my mind, scolding me: "Matthew wouldn't want you to go." I pause, hand still outstretched.
    "Matthew wouldn't want to die, either," I mutter to myself, pulling my jaw taut. But my hand won't twist the knob.
    What would the act of turning myself in prove? Probably nothing. It would only further jeopardize the rebellion, and almost guarantee the rise of the Hidden Allies. Millions will suffer.
But Matthew, groans the selfish part of my mind. The muscles in my wrist war against each other. Every time I start to open the door, I force myself to stop. Groaning through my teeth, I step away from the door and start pacing the length of Matthew's bedroom. Am I being cowardly for not wanting to go to the Pillar, or am I being selfless? I groan again and fall back onto my bed, staring up at the ceiling. I notice numbly that my hands are trembling.
    I'm scared. Scared that Leah might be right about this. Without properly making a decision, I finally fall into a fitful sleep.

* * *

Fake Enna

    Jeremy stares at me until I grow red in the face.
    "What do you want?" I snap. The slew of glowing screens did not bring us good news. In fact, they told of the exact opposite. Slowly but surely, President Burbank's army was winning the war. I could feel it with every Reptilian that hit the ground, with every Worker that was swiftly dispatched. Even after the fighting ended last night, a terrifying wind of defeat blew throughout the entire Pillar. Somehow -- miraculously -- we're losing to Enna.
    "I want you to do what must be done," Jeremy mutters coldly, staring at the small digital clock set upon the screens' control panel. It reads 11:55. I set my gaze upon the screen showing the front entrance of the Pillar, uncomfortably aware of Jeremy's hulking presence. Please, just give up, I urge Enna. It's a genuine plea. I don't want Matthew to die. The seconds pass with taut muscles and bursting breaths. Then the seconds turn to minutes. Then the clock reads 12:00 and Jeremy hisses through his teeth.
    "That little--"
    "Save your breath." I sigh and momentarily lean my head back, closing my eyes. "It's done."
    "I suppose you're right." Jeremy stands, stretches, and eagerly claps his hands together. "How shall we kill Elliot?"
    My stomach twists and turns and flips. I can feel my face turning wan. I can't believe it. Enna Price, the selfless, brave Enna Price didn't come running to save her friend in need. I feel as though a blow had landed on my spine. It's true that Matthew should suffer for Enna's hardheadedness, but he shouldn't die.
    "We won't kill him," I whisper. My hands start to shake and I grip my uniform to keep them still. Jeremy narrows his eyes and slowly approaches me, stalking me.
    "What did you say?"
    "We won't kill him," I start again, narrowing my eyes in anger. Bluffing is easy. "That would only serve to prove a moot point. Of course Enna knows we can kill him. We need to do something else, something that proves we aren't playing around. Death is final. Vengeance stings."
    Jeremy open his mouth as if to retort, then starts to fidget with the lining of his black military jacket. I can tell I've made a valid point. I stare at the barren streets through the surveillance cameras and wait for Jeremy's response.
    "Wouldn't that ruin our bargaining power? Elliot is a huge asset. Why don't we -- ?"
    "Trust me. Enna won't need any more convincing after this. I'm sure of it."
    "You'll take care of it? You know exactly what to do?" He asks. When I tell him my plan, his mouths curls upwards into a cruel, unforgiving grin.
    "This is why I hired you," he mutters, tossing his head in dismissal. My nerves sing as I stand and exit through the door. This is it. This is what will break Enna Price. I know it because I was her; I still am her, in a way. Even though it pains me to do what I'm about to do, it may just be the step that gains the Elite a victory.