Chapter 11

Audrey stepped away from Ringo.

"I'm not afraid....and I'm not denying any feelings...I...I just don't have the feelings you'd like me to have...I don't like you like that." she said trying to sound convincing.

"I don't believe you."

"I don't need you to believe me for it to be true...but I wish you would." Audrey replied.

Ringo reached over and took Audrey's hands in his. "You're sticking with that story, then?" he smiled.

"It's not a story, Ringo." Audrey said softly.

"Are you interested in someone else?" Ringo asked.

Audrey hesitated for a few seconds.  " No... It has nothing to do with anyone else."

Ringo nodded.  "It's just me then, huh?"

"Ringo..." Audrey said sadly.

"It's fine..." Ringo forced a smile as he let go of Audrey's hands. "We should get going.  The lads are waiting for us."

"Right." She said as she went to grab her purse.

Audrey didn't speak much on the way to the restaurant.  Ringo filled the silence with talk about the film.  Audrey smiled and nodded, not really paying much attention to what he was saying. She was too focused on the sadness she felt for having to lie to Ringo.  It had killed her inside having to tell him she didn't have the same feelings for him as he was confessing to her.  She hated lying to him, even if he didn't believe her.  Maybe she had hurt him now, but this was better than what could happen to him if he got involved with someone like her.  She just had to look at John, who knew the truth of everything, to see how she was adversely affecting his life.

When they reached the restaurant, Audrey linked arms with Ringo and walked alongside him. She looked around admiring the beautiful décor. There was a live jazz band playing that brought an added elegance to the atmosphere.

"Please follow me. Your party is expecting you." A young lady smiled at Ringo.

It was evident this was a place that not everyone could simply walk into, you had to have a lot of money to be able to afford to dine here. Perhaps this was the reason that there seemed to be no fuss that 3 out of the 4 Beatles were here. Everyone else in the restaurant was probably just as well or more well off than the Beatles themselves.

Audrey smiled as she saw Prudence and Susan sitting next to Paul and John.

"Nice of you two to join us." Paul said as he pulled out a chair next to him. Audrey thanked him and sat down, with Ringo taking a seat to her left. She waved at John and Susan who were on the opposite end of the table and smiled at Prudence who was already giddy from the wine she was drinking.

Wine and appetizers were already on the table and Ringo quickly grabbed a bottle of red wine and poured Audrey a glass and another one for himself.

"Thank you." She smiled.

"Cheers." Ringo winked as he clinked his glass with Audrey's.

For the next hour, Audrey enjoyed herself as she hadn't done in a long time. The conversation at the table was filled with amusing stories, quick wit remarks and lots of laughter. Before dessert was served, the girls excused themselves to go to the ladies' room. Not only did the girls take this time for a quick touch up, but to talk about how the evening was going.

"I just don't understand it, Audrey...it's obvious Ringo likes you...why won't you just give him a chance?" Susan said as she finished putting on her lipstick.