Chapter 6

Audrey didn't push Ringo away, but she also didn't respond to his kiss the way she typically responded when a man kissed her. She simply froze.

"Mr. Starr. Your cab is here." The receptionist could be heard from the lobby.

Ringo pulled away and smiled.

"I've been wanting to do that since I first saw you."

"Ringo. This isn't going to change anything." Audrey said.

"I know what you said, love. I don't believe you, but just in case it's true...I had to steal that kiss. It may be my only chance. C'mon...we should head back."

So Audrey and Ringo headed back to the studio. They didn't talk much on their way back. When they arrived, Robert was waiting for them. Much to Audrey's dismay, he was pleasant and Ringo seemed to get along quite nicely with him. Robert informed him that the others were waiting for him to start filming a scene and guided him in the general direction.

"Don't worry about Audrey. I'll keep her company until the girls get back." Robert reassured Ringo.

"I'll see you a little later, okay?"

"Sure." Audrey half smiled.

The thought of dealing with Robert right now, let alone, ever again, made her stomach churn.

Once Ringo was out of range, Robert turned his attention to Audrey.

"I saw you and John together this morning."

"Yeah. So? Isn't that what this job is all about?"

"What did you tell him? About your wrists?" he motioned towards Audrey's wrists.

"That's none of your business." Audrey replied coldly.

"It's every bit my business. What did you tell him?" Robert pressed. Audrey noticed a little concern in his voice.

"If you're concerned that I told him the truth of what actually happened, you can quit worrying. There's a reason why Frank went looking for me. I am a professional. And yes, this also means having to come up with an explanation for the stupidities people like you do. If you actually knew how to handle yourself in the business, you'd know not to call attention to you or to the people you are working with. And yes, I would call causing visible bruises on the person who has constant contact with the target a huge stupidity."

Audrey could tell Robert was fighting the urge to retort. She knew he had a short fuse, but being in public caused him to control his temper a bit more. She was sure, he wouldn't have taken her comments quite this well if they were in private.

"So what did you tell him?" Robert asked with clenched teeth.

"Like I said..." Audrey said, taking notice that the girls were approaching them. "...that's none of your business."

***

March 14th. Audrey had been dreading this day all week and it was finally here. She had been thankful that she would not need to go to the studio for any filming. Today marked three years since that dreadful night. She could still remember it so vividly. She could still hear herself scream as the gun went off. It was three years ago she realized just what Frank was capable of doing. It was also three years ago she made her decision to buy herself out of the business.

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Pattie asked Audrey as she grabbed her purse off the table.

"I'm sure. You girls have fun."

"Maybe later, then? George said they didn't have much filming to do today...we could probably all go out for dinner or something."

"I don't think so...I'd rather just stay in, you know?" Audrey halfheartedly smiled.