Chapter 22

"Do you have to go?" Charlie questioned as Audrey began getting dressed.

"Did you expect me to stay the night?" she asked sarcastically.

"Would it be so bad if you did?"

Audrey knew how bad things could get if she didn't get home to Frank. He had made sure of that, but despite Frank's terrible temper, it was hard to leave Charlie. He was the first "assignment" that had actually acknowledged her as a person and not treated her as the role she was supposed to be playing.

"I told you, Charlie..."

He sighed in frustration. "I know what you told me, but..." he said as he stood up and took a hold of Audrey's hands. "Can't you just make an exception? For me?"

Charlie was a recent assignment...he was also the youngest man she had been asked to seduce, most likely around her own age. He had been sweet to her...and caring...dare she say they had made love and not just fucked. They had talked and he had genuinely showed interest in what she said. Charlie was different.

"You know I can't...I should go."

"What if I told you I'm starting to have feelings for you, Audrey?"

"I'd tell you to stop." She said as she began heading to the door.

Charlie met her at the door.

"So this is it? Just like that?"

"That's how this works. The arrangement was for 1 week, right?" Audrey replied.

Charlie nodded. "So you'd object to us seeing each other after this?"

Audrey looked at him. This was the first time she actually felt sad about leaving. "We can't..."

"We can't...or you won't?"

"Charlie...you knew what you were getting when this started. This...this was just about sex, right? You wanted someone to spend the week before you had to go back? To not feel alone...that's what I gave you. I have nothing else to give you."

"What if I do? What if I ask you to leave that life?"

"Then you never understood what this was about. I have to go...you take care, okay." Audrey smiled.

"What if I told you we'll see each other again." He grinned.

"I'd say it's not likely." Audrey said as she placed her hands on his chest and softly kissed his lips. He kissed her back and then slowly moved out of the way so she could open the door

***

"Audrey! Where the hell have you been!" Frank said as he roughly grabbed a hold of her arm and pulled her inside.

"I...I'm sorry I was..."

"C'mon..get inside. I have a little surprise for you."

"Surprise?"

"Yeah...I think you're well acquainted with him".

"What are you talking about?" Audrey asked as Frank led her down the hall and into the farthest room. She gasped and cried out as she saw Charlie, strapped to a chair, bruised face and blood streaming down his face.

"Why is he..."Audrey started as she put her hands to her mouth. Charlie lifted his head and saw her.

"Oh..." Audrey cried. "What did you do, Frank?" she yelled.