Chapter 19

Audrey sighed. She didn't know what to tell John. She knew his frustration was valid. It was absolutely ridiculous for Frank to expect him to "fix" whatever had happened to Resi when doctors had been unable to do so.

"Desperate people will do desperate things, John." Audrey said as she rubbed his back. John looked up at her. "And Frank is desperate." she continued.

"Yeah? Well I'm desperate too! He has Cynthia, Audrey! I don't know what the hell he's done to her..."

"Cynthia is fine." Audrey said trying to reassure him, but the reality was that she wasn't any more sure of that herself.

"How do you know?" John said worried. "How do you know he hasn't hurt her?"

"Frank knows he can't hurt her...he knows he needs her."

"He's using her as leverage." John stated.

"Exactly."

"Cynthia has nothing to do with this...why the fuck did he have to get her involved?"

"He needs you as much as he needs Cynthia. He knows you'll do what he wants if it means keeping Cynthia safe."

"That's why he didn't just come after me...he could have just roughed me up or killed me, but he didn't..."

"Right...because in his mind, you're to blame but you're also the only one who can help his daughter too. He needs you alive for that." Audrey said staring at him.

John stared back at her and took a deep breath. Their gaze was broken when they heard a knock on the door.

"Expecting someone?" John asked softly.

"No." she all but whispered.

She walked slowly to the door and looked through the peephole.

"It's Ringo." she said looking back at John as she unlocked the door.

***

Sofia sat behind her daughter and combed her hair. Nowadays, it was one of the only things her daughter would allow her to do. For Sofia, it was a bit of bonding time with her daughter and she looked forward to it every day. As she combed her hair, Resi quickly flipped through a magazine.

"Your father stopped by for a few minutes. He sends his love." Sofia said as she continued combing her hair.

Resi didn't respond. She didn't even acknowledge that her mother was speaking to her and continued flipping through the pages. Sofia had gotten used to this by now. Still, the doctor suggested talking to Resi as if she was listening.

"He couldn't stay very long...said he had a few things to take care of and that's why he couldn't wait for you to wake up...but he says he'd be back this afternoon." Sofia continued.

Suddenly, Resi stopped flipping the pages and stared down at the magazine. Sofia took notice and tried to peer over to see what had caught her daughter's attention. Before she could see the page, Resi put the magazine down on the floor and opened it wide. She leaned forward to look at it closer, causing Sofia to be unable to continue combing her hair.

"What's that you're reading sweetie?" Sofia asked as she shifted to see what Resi was looking at.

Sofia finally moved enough to see the title of the article- Just a Hard Day's Night. Beatlemania on the Big Screen. She had heard about the Beatles. They were the biggest sensation right now, but she hadn't really made an effort to find out much about them. She moved next to her daughter and got a better look at the photo on the page. Sitting backwards in director type chairs were four men. Their names were written on the chairs while four girls combed their hair. She quickly glanced at her daughter who had not lifted her eyes off the page. It had been a long time since she had seen her daughter so focused on something.